Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is SDM free for CCNA holders?

Hi guys,

I'm studying for my CCNA Security, and I wanted to have so practice with the SDM firewall.

So I went to the download section of CISCO, and I ended up on :

That Cisco reserves the right to: (a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled, and (b) immediately suspend or terminate your access to this web site if you Download software to which you are not so entitled

I don't have any cisco device yet!, Does it mean that I have to buy SDM? Is it free for Cisco Certified people?

Cheers

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alexandre

Access to SDM is not dependent on being certified. And being certified does make any difference in whether you can get SDM. SDM goes along with copies of the Cisco IOS. When you purchase a legitimate Cisco IOS router it should come with a copy of SDM. And if you have a maintenance contract with the Cisco router then you have the right to download new copies of software including new copies of SDM. Without owning any Cisco equipment I do not know of a way that you can get SDM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Alexandre

In general Cisco licenses software to the original purchaser and not to the router. So if a Cisco router is sold the license technically does not transfer with the purchase. I believe that this applies to SDM. So if you purchase a router (like an 861w) you purchase the router but not a license. And the license is the key to being able to download software.

One option to consider might be to purchase a used router and then apply to Cisco to put it under maintenance. If the router is accepted for a maintenance contract then it gives you the ability to download software. This is feasible but probably expensive so it may not be a real attractive alternative.

Cisco has been developing some on line labs. So there might be  a possibility that there would be an online lab that would include hands on experience with SDM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alexandre

Access to SDM is not dependent on being certified. And being certified does make any difference in whether you can get SDM. SDM goes along with copies of the Cisco IOS. When you purchase a legitimate Cisco IOS router it should come with a copy of SDM. And if you have a maintenance contract with the Cisco router then you have the right to download new copies of software including new copies of SDM. Without owning any Cisco equipment I do not know of a way that you can get SDM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi again

"When you purchase a legitimate Cisco IOS router it should come with a copy of SDM"

If I buy a router on ebay ( 861w for example) does it give me the right to download sdm from cisco download center?

Rgds

Alexandre

In general Cisco licenses software to the original purchaser and not to the router. So if a Cisco router is sold the license technically does not transfer with the purchase. I believe that this applies to SDM. So if you purchase a router (like an 861w) you purchase the router but not a license. And the license is the key to being able to download software.

One option to consider might be to purchase a used router and then apply to Cisco to put it under maintenance. If the router is accepted for a maintenance contract then it gives you the ability to download software. This is feasible but probably expensive so it may not be a real attractive alternative.

Cisco has been developing some on line labs. So there might be  a possibility that there would be an online lab that would include hands on experience with SDM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Well thank you for all the information

I really appreciate

Bye

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card