cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to white list a user by the MAC address in Cisco Fire Power?

JBrav0
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco firewall that can be accessed through the web interface called Firepower. I  discovered that there is a geolocation rule that blocks visitors from South Africa. The issue is that we recently got a student from there that cannot visit our website through any computer (other than a mobile phone) and I believe it's because of the firewall. I already verified with my ISP that they aren't blocking anything. 

I would like to keep the rule, but white list them so they can at least access it. Is there a way to set up the rule-based on a MAC address? this seems to be the simplest way in my mind to have him visit with his own computer. 

3 Replies 3

As I know you can use SI in FTD to config white list and use DNS to control this whitelist depend on domain.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A MAC address doesn't convey across the Internet unless it's encapsulated in something like a remote access VPN.

You could give them a VPN connection (which is not affected by Geolocation rules).

A much simpler solution is to just have the student use an inexpensive commercial VPN service like Tunnel Bear that allows them to choose their apparent country of origin.

I didn't think about this, I could test this with the student and if it works I will probably get the college to buy a handful of licenses for students on rare occasions like this. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: