Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues using SCP to ASA5525 Firewall from ASR-1001-X

RDrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me out with this issue I have run into. 
I am trying to get a new ASA device image onto my current ASA 5525 so I can upgrade it. 

I downloaded the new image from Cisco the new image is " asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin " and saved to my desktop of my PC Windows 10.

I have enabled the SCP server on my router ASR 1001-X by issuing the command

Router(config)#ip scp server enable

I then open up PowerShell on the computer that has the image downloaded and enter this command

PS C:\Users\<user>\Desktop> pscp -scp -P 22 asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin <user>@<IP_of_Router>:asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin

it copies the image to the Router with no errors being flagged.

I then go to my ASA FW 5528 running 12.4.2 and I make sure the scopy command is enabled by running the following command,

ASA(config)# ssh scopy enable

I then try to initiate the copy command to copy it from the Router to the FW by using this command

ASA# copy scp://<user>@<IP_of_Router>/asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin

I then get the following error on the ASA

%Error Opening scp://<user>@<IP_of_Router>/asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin (Permission Denied)

I have racked my brain and for the life of me cannot figure out . I have even tried to use PowerShell to pscp the image to the ASA but I get another error the image by all accounts looks like it transferred but at the end it says FATAL ERROR: received unexpected end-of-file from server

pscp -scp -P 22 asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin <user>@<IP-of_ASA>:asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin
<user>@<IP>'s password:
asa9-12-4-24-smp-k8.bin | 105066 kB | 5003.1 kB/s | ETA: 00:00:00 | 100%
FATAL ERROR: Received unexpected end-of-file from server

I am able to successfully get images to my other devices. a Cisco IOS-XE switch, NX-OS switch, and my ASR Router. it is just the ASA that is giving me trouble.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RDrew
Level 1
Level 1

I finally figured it out. I used SCP to transfer the from the desktop over to the ASA event though I still got the Fatal Error at the end I checked the MD5 checksum and they matched 100%. So I ended up using that way to upgrade the FW to the new image.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

check the ASA flash/disk0 if it still has free space. issue a 'dir' and check the % free.

delete some old .bin image and ASDM to free up the flash.

Hello,

I have checked the Free space on disk0 and there is sufficient space on disk0 for the new image to go.

RDrew
Level 1
Level 1

I finally figured it out. I used SCP to transfer the from the desktop over to the ASA event though I still got the Fatal Error at the end I checked the MD5 checksum and they matched 100%. So I ended up using that way to upgrade the FW to the new image.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card