Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keys do not change from clear text to key 6th

Greetings Gents,

I have this IOS 15.2(7)E3 running on 2960X.

I have set:

(config)#key config-key password-encrypt ***

(config)#password encryption aes 

However, my tacacs and radius keys do not get encrypted using 'key 6', like in this example. They are still shown in clear-text.

Configure the Encrypt Pre-shared Keys in Cisco IOS Router - Cisco

Could you please advise what else I am missing.

Thanks,

Edouard.

8 Replies 8

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @EdouardZorrilla0939,

I believe you'll need command 'service password-encryption' (although I don't have switch next to me to be sure). Also, if I remember correctly, it might not be that this command will encrypt your already configured password, and that you'll have to retype them.

What I do remember is that you need to remember/save password used in 'key config-key password-encrypt XXX', as you won't be able to restore configuration later without it (in terms of password recovery).

BR,

Milos

Hi Milos,

The password-type 7 is weak, and I am looking to use password-type 6 using AES as encryption. 

tacacs server ABC
address ipv4 1.1.1.1
key cisco123

I need to encrypt the tacacs's key in our 2960x, but I can't.

I will open a ticket with Cisco TAC tomorrow.

Regards,

Edouard.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for sharing this information. I have the following IOS version:

Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(7)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

However, the command syntax " tacacs server key 6 key-name." is not available.

Best regards,

Edouard.

That's odd. It should work according to the documentation. Can you open a TAC case on it?

Hello guys. I can confirm, it doesnt work.

I created a master key, then encrypted them via aes - at least tried to - but the clear text stays . Copy doesnt work too, although the same master key is used.

Has somebody already opened a TAC case. I´m really tired about open new cases, I already have some regarding other issues

I've opened a case with Cisco TAC and I will update you guys when I have meaningful information.

Did you end up getting a response, I'm looking to do the same? That is to move my weak 7 type passwords in the tacacs server commands to type 6.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card