Views
Helpful
Replies

Long time backup configuration FMC

AlexanderD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have FMC 1000 in high availability deployments. FMC backups include only configurations.  I use the scheduler on an FMC to automate backups. FMC manage 10 FTD with IPS policy. Backup size is approximately 2 Gb. Backup time is longer than 8 hours. Is this long time backup normal?

2 Replies 2

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

Depending on your configuration and software release you are running, a 2GB backup size can be normal. In the past there have been some issues with database cleanup procedures not running / not being implemented in certain software releases, causing the sybase database of FMC to grow unneccessary, hence causing large backup files.

Cisco TAC has some procedures to minimize your database size. I would recommend updating to 6.6.1 (recommended, stable software release as of 01/2021). If the problem persists you can open a case for TAC to take a look and run some procedures to cleanup your environemnt

p.s. as for the duration of backup being 8h - that will probably be resolved by the cleanup as well. The duration really depends on your setup but smth between 30min and 3h tends to be normal for most environments

Hope that helps

when you say backup time, does that include transfer to an external server for storage?

I would say 8 hours is not normal.  I take backups of FTD4110s with IPS, and 1000 access rules that takes only a few minutes.

Are you running the backups for all the FTDs at the same time?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card