Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum memory on ASA5585 for ASA OS 9.1

andre.ortega
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello there,

I´d like to know how many DRAM and flash memory an ASA5585 needs to run the ASA OS 9.1.

Thanks for all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

We ordered 5 ASA5585-X SSP-20 a couple of years back. They have 12GB memory.

The document I linked also lists that they have 12GB memory. I am kind of wondering if you are running 8.2 software on the ASA? It might be that it limits the amount of memory the ASA recognizes.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I don't think any of the ASA5585-X models (SSP-10, SSP-20, SSP-40 and SSP-60) lacks memory to run any software level you want to run.

The first model has 2GB of Flash and 6GB RAM

For an offical document/reference refer to the following

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#wp48034

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Okay JouniForss, thanks.

But I am in doubt because of this part " the DRAM requirements for 8.3 and higher match the newer default shipping sizes".

The newer default shipping size for ASA5585-SSP20 is 12 GB and my ASA has only 4 GB.

I don´t know if I can install ASA OS 9.1...

Hi,

We ordered 5 ASA5585-X SSP-20 a couple of years back. They have 12GB memory.

The document I linked also lists that they have 12GB memory. I am kind of wondering if you are running 8.2 software on the ASA? It might be that it limits the amount of memory the ASA recognizes.

- Jouni

Yes, you are right. I am running 8.2.

Thanks so much. I will try to upgrade to 9.1.

Best Regards.

Hi,

I didn't quite get if your ASA is running in production environment or if its an ASA that you have just gotten.

I would STRESS that the NAT configuration format is hugely different in any software 8.3+ compared to the 8.2 (and older) software level.

So if you are updating an ASA in use I would go through the changes since the ASAs automatic conversion isnt always ideal.

- Jouni

Thanks for your concern JouniForss, but I know what I am doing

Just for you know, my customer had bought this device one or two years ago and now I configured and put it in production last week.

Everything is working fine already using ASA OS 9.1.

Thanks for your help.

could you please provide the link which specifies the memory requirement details please.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card