Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring FPR 1120 by FDM

LuisRodriguez28
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team!

I currently have an FPR 1120 which I manage from my FDM. The version of Threat Defense used is 6.4.0 102.  I require network management much like ASDM does with ASAs. With URL filtering, network throughput management, etc. Is this possible with FDM? Or do I require another plugin for visualization and management a bit more advanced than what FDM shows.

NOTE: In FDM I see a "Monitoring" part but I click on it and it simply does not display a monitoring panel. Is this because I require some kind of advanced licensing? 

Regards!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not a big user of FDM, But you need to get FMC for advanced features to explore,  ( firepower do not have anything like ASDM)

FMC full-blown management tool for FTD.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Changing from FDM to FMC is a big step and requires rebuilding your whole configuration. You can run an FMC on a VM but it is a pretty big app - it requires 32 GB just to install. It also costs money. Starting price is US$500 (list price) to manage two devices.

FDM-based monitoring has been improved with newer releases. If you are able to upgrade to the most recent version (currently 7.0.1), you may find it better suits your monitoring request.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not a big user of FDM, But you need to get FMC for advanced features to explore,  ( firepower do not have anything like ASDM)

FMC full-blown management tool for FTD.

BB

Hi Balaji Bandi

I understand. I have never used FMC and I wonder if it requires any extra licensing? And if it can be implemented virtually without the need of a physical computer?

if you buy an FMC appliance there is no License required. for Virtual you need one this document explain :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/fmcv/fpmc-virtual/fpmc-virtual-intro.html#id_83743

BB

I understand, we are evaluating the possibility of implementing FMC.

Thank you for the information Balaji.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Changing from FDM to FMC is a big step and requires rebuilding your whole configuration. You can run an FMC on a VM but it is a pretty big app - it requires 32 GB just to install. It also costs money. Starting price is US$500 (list price) to manage two devices.

FDM-based monitoring has been improved with newer releases. If you are able to upgrade to the most recent version (currently 7.0.1), you may find it better suits your monitoring request.

Hi Marvin!

I didn't realize that newer versions already exist. I will upgrade the FTD and see if it displays more features.

I just have a question, ¿Why in the FDM there is a section called "Monitoring" but when I want to enter it does not display any panel?, it just does nothing when I click on it, ¿Is this due to lack of a license?

Regards!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card