cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Firesight licenses from on incident of Firesite manager to another

dbaker85749
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with the 2 unit FireSight manager. He is adding more ASA's for a total of four. how do we move the licenses?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi dbaker85749

i am in the process of doing the same kind of thing : from 10 devices to 25

here is the notes i received from cisco :

---

No upgrade is possible If a customer purchases the 2-device license solution and then decides that they want to upgrade to a full 25-device solution. 

The customer would need to :

- back up the original FSMC,

- install the new full image

- restore the rules, policies, etc. 

SKU for VM appliance :

FS-VMW-SW-K9             Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 25 devices

FS-VMW-10-SW-K9        Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 10 devices

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9          Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 2 devices

NOTE: FS-VMW-10-SW-K9 and  FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 can only manage ASA Firepower services and not FP appliances.

And you can't simply upgrade the install by buying a different license. 

You export your policies and import into the newly installed "larger" licensed FMC.

---

Hope this helps !

please rate if usefull !

PS : i will come back after i finish all tasks to update you with my feedbacks

(i think by the end of next week)

regards,

Guillaume

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jetsy Mathew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

Did you mean that you need more licenses for the ASA firepower modules to attach with the Firesight unit ?

Each module needs minimum of Protection and Control License to manage the Firepower module with the Firesight. Thus based on how many modules that you are planning to attach with the Firesight , please contact the Licensing team under following contact number and get the license. Get you license key from the Firesight Unit and provide it to the Licensing team.

Licensing : +1 919-574-1701

Rate if this answer helps you.

Regards

Jetsy 

Hi dbaker85749

i am in the process of doing the same kind of thing : from 10 devices to 25

here is the notes i received from cisco :

---

No upgrade is possible If a customer purchases the 2-device license solution and then decides that they want to upgrade to a full 25-device solution. 

The customer would need to :

- back up the original FSMC,

- install the new full image

- restore the rules, policies, etc. 

SKU for VM appliance :

FS-VMW-SW-K9             Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 25 devices

FS-VMW-10-SW-K9        Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 10 devices

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9          Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 2 devices

NOTE: FS-VMW-10-SW-K9 and  FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 can only manage ASA Firepower services and not FP appliances.

And you can't simply upgrade the install by buying a different license. 

You export your policies and import into the newly installed "larger" licensed FMC.

---

Hope this helps !

please rate if usefull !

PS : i will come back after i finish all tasks to update you with my feedbacks

(i think by the end of next week)

regards,

Guillaume

That's correct - you need to purchase the larger license size.

The original FireSIGHT / FirePOWER Management Center license is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other new license.

The Protect / Control, URL and Malware licenses are transferable form your original FMC to the new one but I believe you need to open a TAC case for those unless they've added that in the self-service portal lately.

Hi Marvin

Regarding License transfer, i managed to do it this morning by myself using license portal

Steps followed :

Add device using the original FMC license Key (eg : 66:00:50:xx:xx:xx:aa)

Menu : Manage > Device > add device

Product Family : Cisco Firepower Product - Perpetual

License Key : put original FMC license Key (eg : 66:00:50:xx:xx:xx:aa)

Then search for your newly added product, select it, and use the menu :

Manage > device > Action > Rehost/Transfer

Enter details :

Product Family : Cisco Firepower Product - Perpetual

License Key : put original FMC license Key (eg : 66:00:50:xx:xx:xx:aa)

Then on the next page put the Newly installed FMC License Key (eg : 66:00:50:xx:xx:xx:bb)

You will get the perpetual licenses rehosted to your new FMC (eg Control license)

Then you need to transfer your Term licenses :

Follow the Same process using the Product Family : Cisco Firepower Product - Term

add device, then rehost/transfer

After that you will receive licenses by email, and you can import them in FMC

regards,

Guillaume

Hi all

Replying to myself to add the last steps of fmc upgrade from 2 or 10 license to full 25 license

Here are the steps i followed :

- Install fresh FMC (ova)
- Install same version and patchs as current FMC, including the VDB version, geolocation DB

- Backup existing configuration from previous FMC (Menu : System > Tools > Backup/Restore > Defense Center Backup) and export the backup to external storage (sftp)

- Import the backup to the new FMC : via menu Menu : System > Tools > Backup/Restore > Upload Backup

- Check VDB version and geolocation

- Select the backup you want to restore and use button restore ... BUT :

!!! BECAREFULL : it will replace the new FMC IP and hostname by the old ones : you should shutdown the old FMC (duplicate IP) !!!

- Then you can Rehost your licenses to the new FMC (see my post after Marvin's one) and push your policies ot managed devices

hope it helps !

regards,

Guillaume

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card