cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MS Office Communicator & ASA

RonaldNutter
Level 1
Level 1

Recently moved my department over to a separate internet connection from what we had been using.  Running into an intermittent problem where outbound traffic from office communicator (phone calls) seems to be getting a little garbled at the termination point where the handoff is made to the telco.

At this point, I have a 10 MB internet connection with less than 10 people on the network.  Dont really expect the problem to be on our side.  Is there anything that I can do in terms of Modular Policy Framework configurations to help the MS Office Communicator calls be as good a quality as possible ?

Ron

3 Replies 3

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ronald,

There should not be any issue with the BW for 10 MB shared to just 10 people. You can try out with the policing the traffic for communicator.

Make sure that SIP is included in the global policy inspect.

Please do rate for the helpful posts.

By

Karthik

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I suggest the following:

- Enable Netflow to get a good understanding of what sort of traffic is the traversing link.

- On your switch interface that connects to the inside interface of the ASA rate limit less important traffic such as web browsing and FTP.

- Enable SNMP and monitor the bandwidth consumption on your outside interface.

- Check both the inside and outside interfaces of your firewall for any errors.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Bro

No matter what people tell you, please don’t use Quality of Service (QoS) at the workstation level with OCS. What you really need here is to enable the Cisco ASA Priority Queuing feature. Please refer to this URL for further details

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1230. Paste these configs here, and let me know how it goes.

!

access-list ACL_DATA permit ip any any

!

class-map CM_DATA

match access-list ACL_DATA

!

class-map CM_VOICE

match dscp ef

!

policy-map PM_VOICE

class CM_DATA

police output 10000000  

class CM_VOICE

priority

!

service-policy PM_VOICE interface outside

!

priority-queue outside

queue-limit 2048

tx-ring-limit 256

P/S: if you think this comment is useful, please do rate them nicely :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card