cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSSQL query running slowly through PIX running V7.0

Paul_Westhead
Level 1
Level 1

having just setup a new PIX using ACL based security, I have come across a problem with SQL querying VERY slowly through the PIX. We also use other protocols such as RDP for remote management of the server on the far side of the PIX which runs fine. The running config is as follows:

Please see Attached file for config

The query is originating at the 10.12.X.X address and is querying a server on the other side which is 172.16.0.X.

If we directly patch the server and PC both on the saem subnet the query is almost instant, but if we put the PIX in the way it runs a query in about 1minute 30 secs.

Thanks for reading this and all the help.

6 Replies 6

dmarcos.scc
Level 1
Level 1

I have same problem. I upgrade the pix from 6.3 to 7.0. In 6.3 all works fine, but in 7.0 mssql queries are very slowy.

Regards,

Hello,

you might want to try and change the MTU sizes, e.g.:

mtu LAN 1350

mtu DB_VLAN 1350

or

mtu LAN 1452

mtu DB_VLAN 1452

Check if this makes a difference, otherwise let me know, and we'll look further.

GNT

Hi,

unfortunately both changes were not successful. We are running both SQL 2000, and 2005. The query is a select * from syscomments on the master database.

Also the query times have become longer, I don't know if this is related, no changes have been made to the server.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul.

Hello Paul :

I have looked into your posted config . And I would like to ask you if it is complete full with all the commands .

In my opinion your posted config is missing some configuration to allow connections from the internal subnet LAN to the external DB_LAN interface and to allow returning traffic also, something like

nat (LAN) 0 .....

or something like

nat (LAN) 1 ...

global (DB_VLAN) 1 ...

Post your comments.

Those statements as well as the isakmp and ipsec statements have been removed. This made no difference. We have upgraded to 7.1 which has resolved the problem.

May I ask which 7.1(x) release you used for the upgrade ?

We are experiencing the same behaviour (i.e dramatic slowdown) with PIX515E v7.1(1) and MS-SQL traffic.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card