Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple security zones on same etherchannel ASA5525-X

network1215
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out if we can multiple security zones on same etherchannel.

For example: inside & DMZ

We have 8 ports on the ASA(standalone) and was thinking to create either one of following.

1-  create 2 ports etherchannel for Inside zone and 2 port etherchannel for DMZ, keeping inside zone and DMZ separate.

I will have to create multiple subinterfaces for multiple vlans such as user,voip,server.

example for INSIDE port channel:    

Interface Port-channel 1.1

vlan 10

nameif user

security-level 100

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x.x

Interface Port-channel 1.2

vlan 20

nameif Server

security-level 100

Similarly for port-channel 2 (DMZ) I will have to create multiple subinterfaces for multiple vlans such as DMZ, wireless etc

Interface Port-channel 2.1

vlan 30

nameif DMZ

security-level 50

Interface Port-channel 2.2

vlan 40

nameif wireless

security-level 100

2 - I can bundle up 4 physical ports into one port-channel and combine INSIDE and DMZ all in same port channel.

Example:

Interface Port-channel 1.1

vlan 10

nameif user

security-level 100

Interface Port-channel 1.2

vlan 30

nameif DMZ

security-level 50

is it a best practice or should I keep the Zones in separate port-channels ? or keeping all in one port-channel ? any security concerns ?

Also we will be connecting additional firewall later infront of ASA 5525-X and that additional firewall will only be used for S2S VPN connections. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Both are ok.
The real question is: do all dmz and users vlans are located on the same switch? And do you want to avoid any traffic issue to impact each others (congestion, l2 storm on your vlans....)

I personally prefer separating dmz vs campus user and would go with option 1.
However if you want to have a big PO to increase the max bandwidth, option 2 is better but if congestion happens, it could impact all vlans going through this PO.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Both are ok.
The real question is: do all dmz and users vlans are located on the same switch? And do you want to avoid any traffic issue to impact each others (congestion, l2 storm on your vlans....)

I personally prefer separating dmz vs campus user and would go with option 1.
However if you want to have a big PO to increase the max bandwidth, option 2 is better but if congestion happens, it could impact all vlans going through this PO.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Good Point Francesco. 

do all dmz and users vlans are located on the same switch?   Yes, there is down stream stack of 2 member switches, All VLANs will reside on it.

However if you want to have a big PO to increase the max bandwidth ? My understanding is even if bundle four physical ports in one etherchannel, I think (or maybe mistaken) the throughput will remain 2Gbps as a limitation on ASA5525-X ?

Sure the limitation of asa 5525 will still be the same even if you put multiple 1G traffic. I was saying this for all situation (device agnostic).

On vlans are on the same stack which means you can go with both options. As I said before, i prefer option 1 to limit impacts and future needs.

Thanks
Francesco

Great.. Much appreciated for your prompt responses.

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card