cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT and DNS Doctoring with Two Internal Interfaces

RBenke
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve searched and searched and searched, and I can’t find this particular configuration discussed anywhere…

My predecessor entered this NAT into our Cisco ASA:

object network obj-10.1.0.10

nat (inside_academic,outside) static 50.201.x.x no-proxy-arp service tcp www www

This NAT allows external clients to access an internal web server. Straight-forward stuff, and it works just fine.

However, our ASA has two inside interfaces: inside_academic and inside_public. The academic network hosts the web server. In order to reach the web server from the inside_public network, a device on the inside_public network must query a public DNS server, and thus access the web server via the server’s external IP address. This creates a hairpin on the outside interface, and doesn’t work.

After much research, I came upon the notion of “DNS doctoring”, and entered this into the ASA:

nat (inside_public,outside) source static 10.1.0.10 50.201.x.x dns

This works: With this statement in place, a client on the public network correctly resolves the web server to 10.1.0.10 (I realize there’s more to this than just DNS doctoring; one step at a time). However, this statement breaks the existing NAT statement. I presume this is because the NAT table is referenced top-down, so whichever NAT is encountered first for the external IP address is the only NAT that takes effect. I was hoping the ASA would take the specified services into account when looking for a match, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

If I can’t get both of these NAT’s to work at the same time, what else can I do to accomplish the goal? Or is there a way to get both of them working at the same time?

2 Replies 2

Hi @RBenke

But why inside_academic and inside_public don't talk each other via real IP address as they both inside?

They have same security level?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Inside_public doesn't have its own DNS server, it utilizes an external, public DNS server. So a device on inside_public only knows the web server's external address. That's the challenge that I'm trying to overcome.

I've found numerous articles and other references that describe how to do this when the client and the server are on the same internal ASA interface. What I can't find is any discussion of how to accomplish this when the client and server are on different internal interfaces. The problem is, I would need two NAT's for the same external address, and that doesn't work. I need a different solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card