Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help tp Access Remote SQL Server Through ASA 5505

I have an issue with our ASA 5505 firewall that I can't quiet figure how to solve. We need to access a remote SQL server, so that would be on port 1433. It works when I bypass the firewall completely, however it does not work when we run it through the firewall. I have a feeling that it has something to do with port translation. I have attached the configuration and the packet trace.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction on how to allow this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Thomas, 

Could you place captures on both inside and outside interfaces, matching the traffic flow, to verify if the ASA is forwarding the packets, according to the packet tracer the connection is allowed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Thomas, 

Could you place captures on both inside and outside interfaces, matching the traffic flow, to verify if the ASA is forwarding the packets, according to the packet tracer the connection is allowed.

Hi Kornelia,

I did the packet capture and low and behold. The traffic does go out, but never gets a reply back from the remote SQL server. Turns out that on the particular modem that the ASA is connected to our ISP in blocking port 1433 for whatever reason, but on our back-up modem, from the same ISP, port 1433 is not blocked. I have now asked them to fix this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card