cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Netbios Access to NT boxes from inside of PIX firewall

jshoker
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to access remote NT boxes from inside of a PIX firewall without completely opening the Netbios ports? If so what is the best way to do this?

4 Replies 4

anavarro
Level 1
Level 1

I would set up VPN. That's really the only way to do it anyways.

I do have a VPN which allows remote users to access the internal network. What some developers needed was access to remote systems on there home networks. I thought you could let outbound traffic over certain ports through. Does this works with Netbios?

Well if inside servers need to access computers on the outside network that are not behind a firewall then by default netbios connections from the inside would go out and connect to remote computers and the pix would recognize it as an established connection and permit it through. But if outside pc's need to connect to servers on the inside network then you will need to either open up the netbios ports 137,135,139. That would mean anyone could connect to them as well. If you can handle the administration and know the ip's of the outside pc's. You could set up access lists to allow only those pc's.

Just so you know, the pix offers free 56bit encryption. So all you would need is the VPN client.

Sorry, I just saw you were saying that you already have VPN to allow remote users access to the inside.

So then you shouldn't have a problem accessing computers on the outside if the connection was initiated from the inside.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card