cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Cfg structure found in downloaded image file

aaronkite
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to download both 8.4(6) and 9.5(2) to this Cisco 5585X.  I downloaded the bin for 8.4(6) just fine.  However, I have not yet upgraded the code from the existing 8.2(5).  I wanted to get both codes on the firewall, because I need to pull it off the network to reconfigure the box because of the changes going from pre-8.3.  Any ideas if I must first upgrade to 8.4(6) before I can even download 9.5(2), if this is a bug, or what I may be doing wrong?

I have plenty of disk space I believe.  Below is a snapshot of drive space:

Directory of disk0:/

2007171072 bytes total (1850376192 bytes free)

Thanks in advance for anyone for their help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Even you are only trying to copy it to flash, the ASA will not allow it due to the configuration structure (which is different from 8.2 code). It should first be upgraded to 8.4(6).

On the other hand, you should not have any issues by upgrading the firewall with the configuration on 8.2 and going to 8.4(6) since the firewall will do the migration for you. If there are any errors, it will print out in the flash a migration log file with the errors encountered (commonly you will see the differences that were migrated from version to version) and a .sav which you can use in case you want to downgrade by any reasons.

In case you need to downgrade by using the .sav generated during the upgrade, you can use the following command:

hostname(config)# downgrade /noconfirm disk0:/[previous image] disk0:/x_x_x_startup_cfg.sav

I suggest that if you don't feel confident by doing the migration with the amount of configuration you have, open a TAC case for further assistance.

View solution in original post

Hi -

I've run into this issue before. When you copy the ASA code to flash the current OS version will run a check against the contents of the binary image.  There have been several internal structural changes to the binaries between version 8.4 and 9.x.  You must copy the first OS image to flash and reboot the ASA to the new image.  Once you have reached 8.4(6) the copy of the 9.5(2) image will validate correctly.

In my first run-in with this, the download of the wrong image actually cause the ASA to crash dump.  You dodged a bullet.

You must follow the upgrade path specified in the upgrade guide, HERE, or you will run into odd issues.

PSC

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Elizabeth Owen
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to download it, what error are you getting? Perhaps the file is corrupt?

Sergio Ceron Ramirez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Aaron, that is an expected behavior from the ASA protecting you from disrupt your configuration by not following an upgrade path. You should first upgrade to 8.4(6) and then you should be able to copy the 9.5(2) image to flash.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks Sergio.  Do you know if this is new to 9.5?  I'm almost certain I've downloaded 8.4 and 9.1 at the same time.  Then upgraded the code to 8.4 then to 9.1.  But it was a while ago, so I may have forgotten.

When you say 'download' you mean copying it to the flash of the ASA? I am pretty sure that it would show you the same error when coming from any 8.2 or earlier code.

correct.  I'm just trying to get 9.5.2 onto the firewall, so when I pull it off the network (the backup) to reconfigure it, I have everything already on it.  It wouldn't pose as big of an issue, but I'm in the USA, and the firewall is in Italy. 

I was able to put 8.4.6 on both the primary and standby no problem.  I have not done the upgrade yet to 8.4.6.  The firewalls are in production, and I'm waiting for my change window to perform the upgrade and reconfiguration.  roughly 8,000 ACLs and 1,000 NATs.  I have them all rewritten in a script.

I'm leaving the primary in production while I upgrade and reconfigure the standby firewall.  Then in June going to put the new firewall back in line as primary.  Pull the other off the network, upgrade the code, and lastly bootstrap it to the other firewall.

Even you are only trying to copy it to flash, the ASA will not allow it due to the configuration structure (which is different from 8.2 code). It should first be upgraded to 8.4(6).

On the other hand, you should not have any issues by upgrading the firewall with the configuration on 8.2 and going to 8.4(6) since the firewall will do the migration for you. If there are any errors, it will print out in the flash a migration log file with the errors encountered (commonly you will see the differences that were migrated from version to version) and a .sav which you can use in case you want to downgrade by any reasons.

In case you need to downgrade by using the .sav generated during the upgrade, you can use the following command:

hostname(config)# downgrade /noconfirm disk0:/[previous image] disk0:/x_x_x_startup_cfg.sav

I suggest that if you don't feel confident by doing the migration with the amount of configuration you have, open a TAC case for further assistance.

Hi -

I've run into this issue before. When you copy the ASA code to flash the current OS version will run a check against the contents of the binary image.  There have been several internal structural changes to the binaries between version 8.4 and 9.x.  You must copy the first OS image to flash and reboot the ASA to the new image.  Once you have reached 8.4(6) the copy of the 9.5(2) image will validate correctly.

In my first run-in with this, the download of the wrong image actually cause the ASA to crash dump.  You dodged a bullet.

You must follow the upgrade path specified in the upgrade guide, HERE, or you will run into odd issues.

PSC

I upgraded to 846... all good.  there are some errors I have to address that did not translate.  but when I then went to upgrade to 952.. crash.  I tried to boot to 846 from rommon, but still crashed.  trying to drop back to 825 again now.  I did a verify on the files, so not sure what is causing the crash.  I have will look at the dump infor.  is it possible just like before I had 8.4.6 on it, it would not let me load 9.5.2, that now I must delete 8.2.5 before I try to boot 9.5.2?

Interesting. When you say it crashes, does it actually boot but after certain time it crashes or at the moment you upload the image? For this kind of issues I would hardly recommend you to have a case opened with TAC to analyze the crash info file. If you require to reload the ASA, in order to avoid losing the crash info, please log the output to a file and then reload the ASA.

You don't have to remove the 8.2.5 file from the flash to accomplish your final upgrade. I suspect you are hitting a bug... are you running SNMP on your configuration?

it boots, then crashes and tells me upon the next boot the crashdump info will be available.  problem is it just boots and crashes, boots and crashes.. I have a TAC case open for it 680382857.  I'm stuck.. I have it sitting in rommon right now.

Recreation will be done. Hopefully this will be solved soon with TAC involved now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: