cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NT shares not available via VPN tunnel

alan_kallas
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 servers accessed by Cisco VPN client v3_6_6_A_K9 and W2K desktops terminated at a Pix 506E.

Server .1 is NT4 & server .2 is Win2K.

The problem is that the NT4 shares are intermittently not available via VPN, although web and OWA services on the same server work fine. All shared folders on the 2K server are accessible via a tunnel that wont provide access to the NT box.

The problem seems to be connected to latency (OS tunnel seems to always give problems - local sometimes).

Can anyone advise me what I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

There are a couple of things that you might want to look at:

Make sure that the PC is set up to log into the correct domain when it boots up.

Ensure that the client workstation does not attempt to be a master browser.

patrick.cannon
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using a WINS server?

dg
Level 1
Level 1

I was having the same issue, could ping the server by name, used browstat to determine the server was in fact the browse master, but when attempting to browse the network or run \\servername, I received the error that no servers were available to service the logon request. If I ran "net use f: \\servername\share" it would prompt me for userid/password and connect OK.

marcpere
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I had the same issue without a VPN when connecting a PC that autenticates with MS Active Directory Domain.

For instance when connecting via cross cable my home PC (normal windows workgroup configured) with my company Laptop (Domain with Ms Active Directory).

I can only do it the way you have done: mapping a network drive.

So this could be also MS related?

MP

Yes. I looked for the article I found the information in but can't remember where I saw it. I also had the problem while connected locally to the LAN which eliminated the VPN as the culprit. My laptop isn't a member of the domain I was trying to connect to. From what I recall the article said you don't establish a session with the server until you force a logon which is what the mapping is meant to do. Sorry my recollection isn't that good.

Browsing will not work because it uses Broadcasts.

A "net use" should work and also a find computer if you have a Wins server configured or you have an lmhosts file defined.

See link bellow:

Configuring PIX to Allow Remote Access to Shared Folders on an NT Domain

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00801ab781.shtml

hope it helps

Patrick

For the net use command use the following UNC syntax:

net use s: \\192.168.1.1\apps /USER:domain\username

sincerely

Patrick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card