Views
Helpful
Replies

Outside nat question

jvardhan29
Level 1
Level 1

hi experts

i have a question for the following outside nat statement when the user is coming from outside of the ASA and requires to go to inside destination

is the below nat at all possible ? i.e nat exempt with outside .if yes , then in what circumstance it will be used .this kind of seem to do identity

source translation from outside to inside

nat (outside) 0 access-list OUT_NAT outside

access-list OUT_NAT extended permit ip <Source> <Destination>

or

access-list OUT_NAT extended permit ip interface outside 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

13 Replies 13

Hi,

This rule:

access-list OUT_NAT extended permit ip

Is used to tell the ASA to bypass NAT for traffic received on its outside interface from to

Just to give you an example...

If you have a nat rule to provide Internet access to VPN clients terminating on the outside interface:

nat (outside) 1 VPN_POOL

global (outside) 1 interface

Then, you can add the above NAT0 rule to bypass NAT between the VPN client pool and another Site-to-Site tunnel.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

Hi

thanks for replying , und'stnd this now .

so you mean the VPN Clients will be able to access the internal devices of the ASA1 (apart from accessing internet from the same ASA1 ) and devices of other ASA2 as well , if ASA1 and ASA2 have site to site vpn among them (see below ) ?

Inside servers

|

|

ASA2----ASA1----VPN Clients

also , this seems to resemble closely to the "Split tunnel" functionality in the VPN ? right ?

2) have one more query

can we  also achieve the above with the help of static policy (identity) nat i.e something like

static (outside,inside)  access-list OUT_NAT

where the destination will be ASA inside servers

Jayesh,

Your 1st query :

by using the nat exempt mentioned by fred we can access  both the internal servers as well as networks behind ASA2 if you have a site to site vpn configured.

This is totally different from split tunneling.

In Split tunneling we actually differentiate the traffic that is supposed to flow through the VPN tunnel from the clients end.

in case you access-list as follows in the split tunnel : access-list split standard permit 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0

We mention that we need to send all traffic to 10.0.0.0 through the VPN tunnel and rest all other traffic need not be encrypted.

Your 2nd Query:

We could also implement it using the Static policy Nat as suggested by you . But the only condition being the traffic has to be initiated from the source mentioned in the access-list. Until then there would not be a entry in the xlate table.

NAT exempt is bi-directional and it doesnt create an entry in the xlate table where as policy nat is unidirectional and hence traffic has to be sourced from the source ip mentioned in the access-list to create entry in the xlate table.

Hope this addresses all the query

thanks for explaining it praveen , but the below nat is only for the low to higher source identity translation as it has outside keyword and i dont think it will be bidirectional , though the NAT exempts are bidirectional

Also static identity policy nat is bidirectional . this below eg. will act as a source translation for outside (lower to higher) and destination dranslation from higher to lower .right ?

Hi ,

The usage of the keyword " outside" purely defines the static as a destination Nat and hence you will need a source nat also

The policy Nat is bi-directional but after an Xlate entry is created. Hence the traffic has to be initiated from the source mentioned in the access-list.

For example :

Static (inside,outside) 10.1.1.0 access-list test

access-list test permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 11.0.0.0 255.255.255.0

where 10.0.0.0 is on inside and 11.0.0.0 is on the outside.

The traffic has to be initiated from 10.0.0.0 only then there would be a entry in the xlate.

once there is a entry in the xlate the entry works as bidirectional.

praveen , thanks for replying

1) i am still not clear if this is a bidirectional NAT ? in my views i dont think so it is bidirectional (usually NAT exempts are bidirectional but this is not )

2) as per you the "outside" keyword  purely defines the static as a "destination Nat" .i dont think is true as in below example we are doing a source identity translation (assuming VPN CLIENT from outside initates the traffic)

3) just for my curiosity there is one example you mentioned below and indeed this has nothing to do with the above two

my ques : is it necessary that xlate will be created when 10.0.0.0 will intiate the traffic . what if 11.0.0.0 initates traffic first ?

hi experts ,

any input on this is highly apprciated .

hi experts

i was waiting for some expert comment on this .kindly help

Got lost in the mail thread. The objective of using outside nat / indentity nat for VPN pool is not clear.

Please elaborate.

Paps

hi paps,

making it more clear .

1) whether the below NAT exempt with remote vpn client as source (on out of asa) bidirectional or not

2) a simple policy based nat is as follows (nothing to do with outside nat)

my ques : is it necessary that xlate will be created when 10.0.0.0 will intiate the traffic . what if 11.0.0.0 initates traffic first ?

Hi,

Q1. whether the below NAT exempt with remote vpn client as source (on out of asa) bidirectional or not?

A1. It is bidirectional.

Q2. is it necessary that xlate will be created when 10.0.0.0 will intiate the traffic . what if 11.0.0.0 initates traffic first ?

A2. An xlate will be created as soon as this static nat is configured. (That is why it is called static).

# show run access-l
access-list test extended permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 11.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
# show run static
static (inside,outside) 10.1.1.0  access-list test
# show xlate
1 in use, 2 most used
Global 10.1.1.0 Local 10.0.0.0

Paps

hi paps

thanks for answring .

regarding 2nd ques  , you have mentioned that xlate is created as soon as static nat is configured .

while praveen mentioned following if you see the initial part of this thread (mentioned in " ")

"The policy Nat is bi-directional but after an Xlate entry is created. Hence the traffic has to be initiated from the source mentioned in the access-list.

For example :

The traffic has to be initiated from 10.0.0.0 only then there would be a entry in the xlate.once there is a entry in the xlate the entry works as bidirectional"

so which one of the above is true ? Thats the reason my question was what if 11.0.0.0 initates the traffic first .

Well, as per the above pasted outputs (again pasted below), the xlate was created as soon as static was configured.

# show run access-li
access-list test extended permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 11.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
# show run static
static (inside,outside) 10.1.1.0  access-list test
# show xlate
1 in use, 2 most used
Global 10.1.1.0 Local 10.0.0.0

It would be good to verify this on your ASA as well.

Paps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card