Views
Helpful
Replies

pix 501 - basic configuration help

bobby.edamala
Level 1
Level 1

Folks:

Just acquired a 501. I'm really new to cisco pix and have no clue how to configure it.

The NAT appears to work (I communicate via a client workstation on the 'inside' interface) using the pdm. However, I can't seem to get the 'outside' interface to work.

I must be missing something:

In system properties, both inside and outside are enabled. I've assigned the outside (ethernet0) a static IP address and provided a subnet mask 255.255.254.0 - this is a multinet). However there's no field to assign the router or dns.

After much tinkering, I cannot get the natted workstation to talk to the outside world.

Any advice?

Bobby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jackawang
Level 5
Level 5

The simpliest way to get it work is using the setup wizard. Launch up PDM and goto menu "Wizards"->"Setup Wizard".

I think the reason you couldn't get outside interface work is that you haven't setup the default gateway and dns properly. By going thru the wizard, you will find a place to fill in such info.

Jack

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jackawang
Level 5
Level 5

The simpliest way to get it work is using the setup wizard. Launch up PDM and goto menu "Wizards"->"Setup Wizard".

I think the reason you couldn't get outside interface work is that you haven't setup the default gateway and dns properly. By going thru the wizard, you will find a place to fill in such info.

Jack

pschneider
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ispgateway 1

replace ispgateway with the external gateway

To get NAT working use this config lines, connect your blue serial cable into the console. Start Hyperterminal on serial port and use 9600/N/1 as settings.

Cut and paste the config bellow and replace the YOUR-PUB-IP and Gateway with the real IP and Subnetmask:

# Login to the PIX

en

# Enter config mode

conf t

# Enable interfaces

interface ethernet0 auto

interface ethernet1 100full

# Set IP addresses on interfaces

ip address outside YOUR-PUB-IP 255.255.255.240

ip address inside 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

# Configure Port Address Translation to all hosts on inside interface

global (outside) 1 interface

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

# Default route to gateway

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Gateway 1

See this guide for further instructions:

Establishing Connectivity:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080172786.html

sincerely

Patrick

bobby.edamala
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the responses!

The router was indeed the problem. Following pix command solved the issue:

route outside 0 0

I think i must have missed it in the pdm wizard.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card