cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501 vs Pix 506E

jduque
Level 1
Level 1

I need to make a choice between pix 506 and pix 501.

I just need to know if I can use the access list in the pix to give access to 100 public address.

The address who match the access list are going to have access to a service that I am going to put behind the pix.

I am not going to use VPNs, the only thing that I want to do is guaranted the access to the service

which one do you recomend me to use??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

they are almost entirely functionally identical. There should not be any difference in their ability to support ACLs. The 506e has a much faster processor, among other benefits, so I generally recommend it for those who are otherwise looking at a 50 user cisco pix 501.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

they are almost entirely functionally identical. There should not be any difference in their ability to support ACLs. The 506e has a much faster processor, among other benefits, so I generally recommend it for those who are otherwise looking at a 50 user cisco pix 501.

hugodrax
Level 1
Level 1

The Pix 506e is only about 960 street price (price of a midrange desktop), has a much more robust CPU and supports VLANS for DMZ's. I would use minimum a pix 506e for buisness use. The 501 is really only for soho and really small sites. 100 public IP addresses is a lot of holes in the firewall you should also determine the number of new sessions and number of concurrent sessions expected to help in the sizing department.

What kind of a world traveler are you Hugo? I am currently trying to find a gracious greek for a decent deal on lodging so I can make a last minute run for the olympics. I figure all those empty seats have to mean some empty hotel rooms.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card