Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Configuration Files ?!

thomasleroux
Level 1
Level 1

I would like know 3 things:

-How to upgrade the version of my PIX 515E. It's a 6.3.1, and I want to have the 6.3.2. I've got the file pix632.bin, but I don't know how to flash the BIOS, which commands, and if I have to reboot the PIX.

-How to backup a configuration from an other PIX 515E by TFTP, where the configuration file (and in which extension) is located in the PIX.

-And how to insert the backup configuration file, in an other PIX515E.

Thanks !

4 Replies 4

prasadrp
Level 1
Level 1

1) Upgrade from 6.3.1 to 6.3.2

Give the following command

"copy tftp flash"

It will ask you interactively for the TFTP Server IP Address and File name to be copied. Give the filename pix632.bin.

2) Backup Configuration File

Give the command "write net w.y.x.z pix" where w.y.x.z is the TFTP server and pix is the name of the config file. You can give any name and the config is stored in text format. The above command takes into consideration that the TFTP server is in inside zone.

If the TFTP server is not on inside zone, but on DMZ use the following command

tftp-server dmz 172.16.1.2 pix1.txt

write net

tftp-server is mentioning the place where the tftp-server is located and the filename for config to be saved in. write net without parameters will take the parameters from tftp-server and copy the file on to TFTP-server.

3) how to insert the configuration on another pix.

configure net tftp-server-IP-Address:filename

OR

if TFTP-server is configured using tftp-server command, then use :

configure net

OK thanks, I will try this !!

Upgrade the version and backup configuration is done, but I' ve got a new problem ...

When I try to send configuration file to my new PIX, it's failed. I think I've got problems with Licensed Features.

When I use the command "show version", on the PIX already configured, there's writing:

Licensed Features:

Failover: Enabled

VPN-DES: Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled

But on the new PIX, not configured, there's:

Licensed Features:

Failover: Disabled

VPN-DES: Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES: Disabled

I think I have to enable Failover and VPN-3DES-AES, to copy the configuration file, but I don't how to do that !

(The 2 PIW are now running with the version 6.3.2)

THANKS

To upgrade the License for 3DES/AES, it is an easy procedure and free of cost.

Goto this link

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/FormManager/formgenerator.pl

Select PIX Firewall 3DES/AES Encryption License (Free) and follow the procedure.

For enabling failover license, you need to buy the license.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card