cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX failover or load balancing

ddicky
Level 1
Level 1

I believed a lot of posting of this question b4.

Has anyone done on ADSL over ISDN connection on PIX-515er-dmz.Appreciate posting on the config.

4 Replies 4

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

I have not worked on a setup similar to this. However, I feel that the config for ADSL link will go on the ADSL router while the PIX will be configured as you would normally with any other link.

davecs
Level 1
Level 1

hi ddicky,

im not quite sure what you want to know.

the PIX can do PPPoE on the outside interface so you could connect a ethernet dsl modem to it and have the PIX establish the PPP session.

also the PIX (6.3.3) cannot do load balancing failover (ie active/active) PIX 7.0 has this feature scheduled so you will have to wait for that feature :)

FYI: ive never heard of dsl over isdn..... what would be the point?

thks for the response.

I have a dsl line and ISDN so incase dsl line down it will automatically switch over to ISDN,my firewall will be doing NAT.If PIX 7.0 will able to do the failover job between different ISP line ,it be great

howdy.

just confirming - do you have 2 routers one dsl and one isdn connecting to the outside interface of the PIX?

when you said failover i thought you meant PIX->PIX failover rather than outside link failover.

here are your options:

1) get a cisco router that can do DSL with ISDN backup - probably expensive

2) have 2 cisco routers doing HSRP this way a link going down is transparent to the PIX thus you dont need to worry about that

3) i think the PIX can understand OSPF so adverstise routing updates to the PIX from both routers...

if you dont need ISDN backup netgear make a good product that has ADSL with Dial backup and its cheap too.

cheers

dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card