cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Load Balancing

colbyarnold
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a second internet router to load balance my four circiuts (2 in each router). The problem I am running into is I can not enter a second outside IP route with the same metric in the pix. How can I load balance between the pix and two routers? Thanks

4 Replies 4

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

This is not really possible for the moment. You just can have one default route with the same metric.

A way could be by using BGP but your ISP have to support that. Or another routing protocol.

Or you buy a loadbalancer.

http://www.victrix.ca/elfiq/index.htm

Radware or F5 Linkcontroler

sincerely

Patrick

Are those two routers on the same internal subnet? If so, you can setup HSRP between them and point pix default route to a virtual HSRP address. This way you will have some redundancy (when one router dies, another one become active) and also once you get your traffic to the router you can do a lot of stuff using "policy routing".

hi vitaliy.pindyura

i have the same problem because i want to connect 2 isp with pix fw 515e .one isp backup to the other isp. if i can operate the HSRP between 2 external routers (internet routers). i need to understand how the pix made dynamic nat and static nat.

thanks alot

I understand the HSRP between my two internet routers but if one fails I still have to manually change the physical circuits to the failover router. So if there was a way to enter a second outside address it the PIX I could split the load between the two routers. It sounds like the PIX is able to do that yet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card