cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX or ASA - Do they use the same software

raygorbea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm in the middle of making a purchasing decision between a Cisco PIX 515E or an ASA 5510 (or 5520). Currently we do not want to take advantage of the add on modules for the ASA but would like to us the stronger box which the ASA provides. My question is: Does the PIX and the ASA use the same software? Someone from CDW told me that I should go with the ASA because the box is stronger, has higher throuput and they both use the same software. By the wa the ASA was $1000 cheaper than the PIX. Is this true.

Raymond

3 Replies 3

mpalardy
Level 3
Level 3

I think ASA-5510 pricing starts at half the price of a PIX-515E-UR and will increase dramatically depending of your requirements and licensing. You may check this w/ your local rep.

The software are the same on both devices PIX or ASA FOS higher than 7.x, and ASDM 5.x.

Web-vpn is not supported on any pix's. (mmmh... not sure for the 535 model)

If I had to start from scratch, ASA-55xx with proper licencing and hardware would be my choice.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_70/config/specs.pdf

HTH

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

They do use the same software.

Yes both use the same software but the PIX has some restrictions:

ASA:

Complete Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.1 and Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.1 Feature Support

· Provides rich configuration and monitoring support for the new features introduced in Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.1 and Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.1.

New WebVPN Features with Cisco Secure Desktop Support

· Makes it easier for users to quickly provision WebVPN services to enable remote-access connectivity from any Internet-enabled Web browser and its native SSL encryption. It also supports the rapid configuration and monitoring of VPN load-sharing clusters.

· Enables intuitive management support for all Cisco WebVPN enhancements delivered by Cisco ASA Software Version 7.1 (complete WebVPN feature parity with Cisco VPN 3000 Software Version 4.7).

· Accelerates the configuration and monitoring of Cisco Secure Desktop parameters, including software updates.

· Delivers enhanced at-a-glance, real-time VPN monitoring.

Comprehensive Management and Monitoring Capabilities for the CSC SSM

· Introduces a new CSC SSM homepage to provide at-a-glance information on system licensing, anti-x parameters, and system health information.

· Blends the Trend Micro and Cisco management interfaces to facilitate easy configuration and monitoring.

· Provides a real-time Live Security Event Monitor to provide real-time statistics on the latest viruses, worms, and attacks through the network.

Syslog to Access Rule Correlation, and Customizable Syslog Coloring

· Enables rapid troubleshooting by allowing users to create and modify access rules in real time, by simply clicking on syslog messages in the syslog viewer.

· Allows for rapid critical system message identification and convenient syslog monitoring by allowing the colored grouping of syslog messages according to syslog level. Users can select the default coloring options, or create their own unique colored syslog profiles for ease of identification.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet0900aecd8040be8b.html

sincerely

Patrick

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card