Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Restricted vs Unrestricted

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have PIX 515 UR bundle running 6.3(3) in a failover setup.I have over 50 IPSec VPN tunnels,web traffic,NAT going through it and the memory used is around 60MB out of 128MB.

I now have a new PIX 515E in test setup running 6.3(4) and Restricted bundle.I dont have much configuration on this test PIX 515E and still see around 60MB memory used. I want to bring this new PIX live for sometime during relocation (until we move the old PIXes). I was just wondering if the Restricted vs Unrestricted (R vs UR) bundles is causing to use so much memory.

1)Do we see IPSec performance difference issues between the R & UR.

2)Will I be able to load my IPSec traffic on this new PIX 515E ?

3) Should I go for the UR 515E ?

Thanx,

Praful

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello praful,

you can load ipsec traffic on your new PIX 515 E... but you need to set this up with a new IP and put parallel to the old pix... i hope you are not trying to put this as failover to the previous pix, since R licenses dont support failover...

Try configuring ipsec with the new pix and see if it works.. i dont see any performance difference with respect to licensing.. licensing just authorizes you to some advanced functions like failover/interfaces etc... the hardware remains the same, unless u do a DRAM or flash upgrade after purchase...

Do let us know if you need more info...

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card