cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor Ethernet Handoff Performance

evoight
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 10x10mb ethernet handoff connected directly to a pix 515(os 8.03 16m flash 128m dram).  The performance is really bad on the download side, I'm talking 4.5 to 6mb of 10 on a consistent basis.  I know it is the pix because when connected directly to the ethernet handoff with a laptop, the circuit runs 10x10 consistently.  Here is another curiosity...  The customer has another ethernet handoff from a cable provider that is 15x2, using the same interface on the same pix, I consistently hit within acceptable limits (90-100% of rated speed).  I have matched the speed and duplex manually and the port is not reporting any errors, I even matched the mtu for the upstream router, nothing seems to change the performance.  I know the pix is old and it will be an ASA 5510 if they can ever be purchased again.  I wonder if there is any gotchas in this and the performance with the ASA will stink as well...  Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Do you have perhaps a lot of ACLs configured and inspections that could possibly be affecting performance?

I would not think the PIX itself is presenting problems (since another connection through it works fine).

One possibility is that between those two interfaces, there are lots of configuration issues.

Can you post the configuration?

Federico.

Between which two interfaces?  I actually have less acl entries than when it was running on the 15x2 circuit.  I will scrub and post the config tomorrow.

Thanks

You mentioned that the download speed is very bad through the PIX.

So, you're downloading from one side to the outside side of the PIX (these two interfaces).

There could be configuration causing this problem but is just a possibility.

Perhaps you're having other issues with the device itself.

Federico.

Here is the scrubbed config as promised.  Also, a sh int from the outside interface..  Thanks very much for your attention.

Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card