Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Accessing the IDM After Upgrading to Ver 5.0

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I faced a problem after upgrading my IDS 4215 from Ver 4.1 to Ver 5.0.1; I got a message of the Java Heap Size needs to be increased, but after taking the suggested action I was unable to access the IDM at all... what happens exactly when browsing to the IP of my IPS sensor and after authenticating to the sensor, the browser closes as if nothing has happened!

Does anybody face this problem before, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Haitham

9 Replies 9

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

To install the sensor license, follow these steps:

For IDM, click Configuration > Licensing. For ASDM, click Configuration > Features > IPS > Licensing.

The Licensing panel appears.

Choose the method to deliver the license:

a. Select Cisco Connection Online to obtain the license from Cisco.com.

IDM or ASDM contacts the license server on Cisco.com and sends the server the serial number to obtain the license key. This is the default method. Go to Step 3.

b. Select License File to use a license file.

To use this option, you must apply for a license at this URL: www.cisco.com/go/license

The license is sent to you in e-mail and you save it to a drive that is accessible by IDM or ASDM. This option is useful if your computer does not have access to Cisco.com.

Go to www.cisco.com/go/license.

Click Update License.

The Licensing dialog box appears.

Click Yes to continue.

The Status dialog box informs you that the sensor is trying to connect to Cisco.com.

An Information dialog box confirms that the license has been updated.

Click OK.

Go to www.cisco.com/go/license.

Fill in the required fields.

Note:You must have the correct IPS device serial number because the license key only functions on the device with that number.

Your Cisco IPS Signature Subscription Service license key will be sent by e-mail to the e-mail address you specified.

Save the license file to a hard-disk drive or a network drive that is accessible by the client running IDM or ASDM.

For IDM, click Configuration > Licensing. For ASDM, click Configuration > Features > IPS > Licensing.

Under Update License, select Update From: License File.

In the Local File Path field, specify the path to the license file or click Browse Local to browse to the file.

The Select License File Path dialog box appears.

Browse to the license file and click Open.

Click Update License.

ssnapp
Level 1
Level 1

There are some known issues with the IDM in version 5.0(1) and certain versions of the Java plugins. Please upgrade to the 5.0(5) service pack and this should solve the problem.

Steve

I tried this SP but this didnt help and I still cant access the IDM... I installed the SP from the CLI using the "upgrade ftp://" command, is this right?

Do you have any other suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Haitham

The same thing has happened to me in the past. Everything is working now and I am using java 1.4.2_06 with the -Xmx256m as a runtime parameter. Also check if you have any pop up blockers on your machine and even try from another machine as long as it is in the allowed hosts list for the sensor. You can also try to reboot the sensor.

To verify it worked, do a show ver from the cli. Does it show 5.0(5) ?

mherald
Level 1
Level 1

I see this problem all the time.

I keep a laptop at the following Java revision http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html

This allows me to configure 4200s and IDSM blades.

The ironic part, this version of Java will also get an "unsported version" error if you attempt to connect to a VMS server.

Basically, I keep different Java versions on laptops/desktops, just for IDM and VMS servers.

mleviton
Level 1
Level 1

I just reimaged a sensor and had the same problem. First I made sure the clock settings were correct on the sensor, then I was able to install a new certificate. The browser closes when the certificate is not valid or cannot be installed.

I verified the clock is correct and the certificate is valid. I tried different versions of Java including ver. 5.0 which is the latest and the older version 1.4.2_10 with the -Xmx256m parameter applied but no one worked. I'm, also after multiple tries of different Java versions, getting the errors seen attached. Any other suggestions?

Is this a new error? Can you roll back to the java version where you didn't get the error? If the browser just closes on its own before loading the IDM, try generating a new certificate. Log into the CLI and use the 'tls generate-key' command. Then when you log back into the IDM, you should be prompted to install a new certificate.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card