cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Configuring SNMP on ASA - looks like FTD code

ABaker94985
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have a 5508 running the following software: "Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.9(2)37"

This is new to me, as the software configures like FTD - when you ssh in, you have to type "system support diagnostic-cli". I've never done that before on ASA code. 

I've attached a couple screen shots. I've been through the GUI and don't see anywhere to configure SNMP. I was able to use flexconfig, but that just doesn't seem right. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@ABaker94985 the pictures you attached are the Firepower Device Manager (FDM) on-box GUI. The device is running FTD 6.2.3. The ASA version you mentioned is the embedded LINA code which maps to an ASA software version.

SNMP support on these older FTD versions, especially with FDM management is quite limited. You need to use a Flexconfig similar to what's mentioned here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/623/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-623/fptd-fdm-advanced.html?bookSearch=true

As long as you use FDM, that applies even with the latest release (6.7.0.2 as of now).

You may be better served putting the configuration into FMC and managing it from there, including the ability to configure SNMP with a platform policy.

I'd also recommend upgrading to the current recommended release (6.6.4).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if this is FTD check the below document ( how you managing this device FDM or FMC ?)

AS A 5508 with Firepower Service Module  or ASA re-imaged with FTD

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/simple-network-management-protocol-snmp/213971-configure-snmp-on-firepower-ngfw-applian.html

no screenshot we see to this ticket.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've reattached the images. I'm not sure why they didn't stick the first time. This is stand alone. No FMC, no FDM. This shows ASA code:

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.9(2)37

It can't be configured via SSH though, and it seems just like an FTD.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure it via the FTD platform policy if you are managing via FMC.

ABaker94985
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have 3 FMCs in our organization, but this firewall isn't in any of them. The person who initially set this up claims to have configured it as stand alone. He doesn't remember any more details - he got the site up, and that was it.

@ABaker94985 the pictures you attached are the Firepower Device Manager (FDM) on-box GUI. The device is running FTD 6.2.3. The ASA version you mentioned is the embedded LINA code which maps to an ASA software version.

SNMP support on these older FTD versions, especially with FDM management is quite limited. You need to use a Flexconfig similar to what's mentioned here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/623/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-623/fptd-fdm-advanced.html?bookSearch=true

As long as you use FDM, that applies even with the latest release (6.7.0.2 as of now).

You may be better served putting the configuration into FMC and managing it from there, including the ability to configure SNMP with a platform policy.

I'd also recommend upgrading to the current recommended release (6.6.4).

ABaker94985
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thanks Marvin. I appreciate all your effort on this forum - you've helped me out with solutions you've posted elsewhere. OK, we configured SNMP through flexconfig yesterday - this seems like such a basic function, that I expected it to be configured elsewhere. Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card