Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Protection&Control vs IPS Licenses

Hello Guys,

I have received my PAK numbers from Cisco. for IPS,AMP and URL-Filtering.     I registered the PAK numbers on cisco,  but the licenses I received are different.  instead of IPS License I have received (Protection&Control) license. 

I have attached the screen shot

Any confusion/mistake on my side or Cisco ?

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are seeing is correct and how it should be.

It is a bit confusing though.

Protect + Control is a no cost base license that allows you to use the basic Application Visibility and Control and even IPS features on your FirePOWER module. It ships as a PAK with every ASA with FirePOWER services (or with the upgrade SKU if you get FirePOWER added via that method).

The IPS "license" is actually a subscription which entitles you to download Snort rule updates (SRU) and Vulnerability database (VDB) to keep your Next Generation IPS current. That subscription entitlement never shows up in either ASDM-based management or a FirePOWER Management Center (or FTD Device Manager for that matter).

Hi Marvin

if the IPS subscription never shows up, but to make sure i have the through IPS subscription i should be able to update my (SRU) and (VDB) ? Am i right

Actually Cisco does not currently use technical enforcement to restrict you from updating the SRU and VDB without a current subscription.

The only way to really tell is to ask your reseller or Cisco account manager to check the status of your subscription in the Cisco Service Contract Center (CSCC) tool.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card