Views
Helpful
Replies

pvlans and virtual servers

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

folks

not sure if this is the correct place to post but i'm hopeful someone here will have used this scenario

i have a existing and working pvlan with the usual community and isolated ports but i need to add a new setup to it

i have a requirement to add a virtual server which will host serveral virtuals and they will all be on the same switch port

has anyone any experience of this and if so are there any pitfalls to look out for

the virtual servers shouldn't need to talk to each other and should only be talking to the promiscuous port on the default gateway

thanks to anyone taking the time to read this or to reply

1 Reply 1

Hi Bro

I’ve never configured PVLAN in any of my deployments but I’m familiar with the do’s and don’t’s of PVLAN.

Basically, your question here is, in a physical server, you’ll have many virtual servers. Each of these virtual servers will have a different IP Address, but same MAC Address, connected to a single switchport of a Cisco Switch.

Even if you were to configure that particular switchport as “isolated”, this still wouldn’t resolve your issue. This is because you want to have a complete separation from one virtual server to another virtual server, within the same physical server connected to a single switchport of a Cisco Switch.

I did some homework for you, and I believe VMWARE can do this. Please do refer to

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010691

P/S: If you think this comment is useful, please do rate them nicely :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card