cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick ACL question on ASA

galloway13
Level 1
Level 1

I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to confirm it.

If I am using an ASA5505, and I have a configuration similar to below, I see that the untrusted interface is only allowed to ftp to 192.168.1.5. Since the trusted interface is not limited to ftp only can it basically run any protocol it wants to 10.20.30.2, or does it get limited to only ftp by the other ACL on returning packets.

Also, is the ACL applied to the interface because the ACL's name is the name of the interface?

interface gig1/1

nameif trusted

security-level 100

ip address 192.168.1.2

interface gig1/2

nameif untrusted

security-level 0

ipaddress 10.20.30.1

access-list trusted extended permit ip host 192.168.1.5 host 10.20.30.2

access-list untrusted extended permit tcp host 10.20.30.2 host 192.168.1.5 eq ftp

Thanks,

Jay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jay,

The access-list needs to be applied to an interface. You use the access-group command to do that.

access-group interface

ex: access-group trusted in interface trusted would apply the "trusted" access-list on the trusted interface.

For TCP traffic, the replies are allowed without checking the ACL entry. So it is not restricted to only FTP for the trusted side.

The reason is, that a connection entry already exists when the initial SYN packet goes from trusted to untrusted.

When return traffic comes, first the connection table is looked up. If a connection entry is not found,  then only will the access-list be checked. If the entry is found, then traffic is allowed to go through.

Thus for things like ICMP(which is non-TCP), you need to have "inspect icmp" in the global policy map, else the ICMP replies are denied, since only ftp is allowed from untrusted to trusted access-list.

Hope this helps.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark the question as answered, if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jay,

The access-list needs to be applied to an interface. You use the access-group command to do that.

access-group interface

ex: access-group trusted in interface trusted would apply the "trusted" access-list on the trusted interface.

For TCP traffic, the replies are allowed without checking the ACL entry. So it is not restricted to only FTP for the trusted side.

The reason is, that a connection entry already exists when the initial SYN packet goes from trusted to untrusted.

When return traffic comes, first the connection table is looked up. If a connection entry is not found,  then only will the access-list be checked. If the entry is found, then traffic is allowed to go through.

Thus for things like ICMP(which is non-TCP), you need to have "inspect icmp" in the global policy map, else the ICMP replies are denied, since only ftp is allowed from untrusted to trusted access-list.

Hope this helps.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark the question as answered, if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.

Thank you very much for the response.  That was what I thought was going to happen.

Also thanks for reminding me about the access-group.  Guess I should wake up a bit more before asking questions!

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card