cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RA VPN on non-interface IP

gcook0001
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use a different IP from our WAN subnet for RA VPN?  

We currently port-forward 443 to an internal proxy server on the interface IP.  We do this for a couple of reasons.   I realize I can use a different external port for this but thought there would be some benefits to having the VPN on it own external IP.

We currently using Firepower 1140s managed by FMC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@gcook0001 

You can only terminate a VPN (RA or L2L) on an IP address assigned to a physical interface (i.e. OUTSIDE) of an FTD or ASA, so in your scenario no.

If you don't want to change the existing nat to a spare IP address, then you could change the SSL-VPN port or use IPSec instead on the existing IP address assigned to the outside interface.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can use free IP address for your VPN bind to interface. (it has own advantages than using external IP configured in shared basis).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Is there documentation or something that explains how to do this?   I can't find anything and when I setup the VPN it only allows me to select the interface.

There may be a typo in my last message, you need to have the interface configured with IP to get working.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So just to be clear.  I have a wan subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.0/28 from my ISP.    xxx.xxx.xxx.1 is the ip assigned to my wan interface.   I can't setup xxx.xxx.xxx.2 for my RA VPN.  

@gcook0001 

No, not unless you change the physical interface of the device to .2. You can only terminate a VPN on the physical interface.

@gcook0001 

You can only terminate a VPN (RA or L2L) on an IP address assigned to a physical interface (i.e. OUTSIDE) of an FTD or ASA, so in your scenario no.

If you don't want to change the existing nat to a spare IP address, then you could change the SSL-VPN port or use IPSec instead on the existing IP address assigned to the outside interface.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card