cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RA VPN

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

hello experts.. pls help me out here. I have been running cisco client IPSec RA VPN with preshared key authentication on ASA but it is agressive mode connection. I want to change it to main mode. Pls tell me which all necessary config changes would i have to do on ASA to setup main mode IPSec RA VPN.

11 Replies 11

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. i have gone through some articles in which i read that with pre-shared key authentication in IPSec RA VPN main mode is not possible. Preshared key authentication only work with agressive mode and in main mode we have to use certificate authentication instead of pre-shared key. Is this correct.

Pls advise.

Hello Anukalp,

What is the version of the ASA  code that you are using?

Regards,

Jai Ganesh K

Hi Jai.. i have ASA 5525 in running in HA mode & running ver 9.1(2).

> Preshared key authentication only work with agressive mode and in main mode we

> have to use certificate authentication instead of pre-shared key. Is this correct.

Yes, that's correct. What's the reason that you want to change to main-mode? If it's because of security/crypto concerns, you should migrate to AnyConnect with IPSec which uses IKEv2. The used crypto is stronger then with the legacy EzVPN/IKEv1.

Yes karsten.. since agressive mode is less secure that why i am looking for main mode RA VPN.

Does AnyConnect method which you stated above require any type of licences istalled on ASA and AnyConnect client need to be installed on client machine.?? could you post config example for this method type.

Also is there any another good way to secure RA VPN connection.?

pls advise.

I have below license currentlu installed on my ASA.

Licensed features for this platform:
Maximum Physical Interfaces       : Unlimited      perpetual
Maximum VLANs                     : 200            perpetual
Inside Hosts                      : Unlimited      perpetual
Failover                          : Active/Active  perpetual
Encryption-DES                    : Enabled        perpetual
Encryption-3DES-AES               : Enabled        perpetual
Security Contexts                 : 2              perpetual
GTP/GPRS                          : Disabled       perpetual
AnyConnect Premium Peers          : 2              perpetual
AnyConnect Essentials             : Disabled       perpetual
Other VPN Peers                   : 750            perpetual
Total VPN Peers                   : 750            perpetual
Shared License                    : Disabled       perpetual
AnyConnect for Mobile             : Disabled       perpetual
AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone    : Disabled       perpetual
Advanced Endpoint Assessment      : Disabled       perpetual
UC Phone Proxy Sessions           : 2              perpetual
Total UC Proxy Sessions           : 2              perpetual
Botnet Traffic Filter             : Disabled       perpetual
Intercompany Media Engine         : Disabled       perpetual
IPS Module                        : Disabled       perpetual
Cluster                           : Disabled       perpetual

Hello Anukalp,

Remote access IPSec VPN tunnels using Pre-shared-key for encryption use Aggressive Mode. Hence, once aggressive mode is disabled, you can either use Certificate Authentication of Remote IPSec users, which then becomes a six packet exchange VPN connection making it Main Mode.

To change the Phase-1 VPN negotiation mode from Aggressive to Main  reconfigure ASA to authenticate the users using digitally signed certificates instead of preshared keys.

You can verify the mode used by using the 'show crypto isakmp sa' command. Also you can check  the same at both ends of the tunnel. Both peers  will show the mode (in phase I) as MM_ACTIVE. The "MM" here indicates Main Mode. If this were showing as AM_ACTIVE then it would mean Aggressive Mode - the AM_ACTIVE state denotes that Aggressive Mode was used to set up. Additionally, aggressive mode comes into picture when we have random peers. Main Mode cannot be used in configuration where the IP address of
a VPN endpoint may change (NAT) or when the IP address of a VPN endpoint is not known ahead of time (telecommuters). So Main Mode would be applicable for L2L vpn tunnels and Aggressive Mode would apply for Remote Access VPN.

Phase 1 ISAKMP negotiations can use either main mode or aggressive mode. Both provide the same services, but aggressive mode requires only two exchanges between the peers totaling 3 messages, rather than three exchanges totaling 6 messages. Aggressive mode is faster, but does not provide identity protection for the communicating parties. Therefore, the peers must exchange identification information prior to establishing a secure SA.

.Main mode is slower, using more exchanges, but it protects the identities of the
communicating peers.

.Aggressive mode is faster, but does not protect the identities of the peers.

For the Remote access which uses cisco vpn client , aggressive mode would always be used in case  you are "not" using the certificates.

In other words, if you want to make sure that your remote access employs main mode, the
only way to achieve that is to use certificates for it. I would like to inform you that Aggressive mode is typically used in case of Easy VPN (EzVPN) ,with software (Cisco VPN Client) and hardware clients (Cisco ASA 5505 Adaptive Security Appliance or Cisco IOS(r) Software routers), but only when a pre-shared key is used. Unlike main mode, aggressive mode consists of three messages.
Therefore disabling aggressive mode wont affect your Site to Site tunnels but in case you
are using VPN Clients and are using pre-shared key for authentication and not the
certificates then you might not be able to connect your clients using Anyconnect or Cisco
IPSec Client to the ASA.

For using ipsec client you cannot disable the Aggressive mode if you are
using pre-shared key . you can disable Aggressive mode only of you are using
certificate  based authentication

Please go through the link for disabling aggressive mode  .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/configuration/guide/ike.h
tml#wp1051341

I understand that the requirement is to change the Phase-1 VPN negotiation
mode from Aggressive to Main and thus, reconfigure ASA to authenticate the
users using digitally signed certificates instead of preshared keys.

You may refer the below mentioned link which provides an example of
configuring ASA and the Cisco VPN Remote Client to use digitally signed
certificates for authentication:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example091
86a0080930f21.shtml

Also, the following link provides the configuration example of configuring ASA for AnyConnect VPN  using self signed certificate:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example091
86a00808efbd2.shtml

The below link details steps required for configuring AnyConnect VPN Client connections:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/svc.html

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further doubts.

Regards,

Jai Ganesh K

Thanks Jai for shedding light in deep on this. I will go through these links and would let you know for any concern.

Hello Anukalp,

Sure, let me know if there is any further concern on the same. Also Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Regards,

Jai Ganesh K

You need the "AnyConnect Essentials" License which is typically sold for less then $200. The configuration is explained in the following discussion:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/74111/asa-anyconnect-ikev2-configuration-example

Hi Karsten. in the shared link i am a bit confiuse about certificates which would be installed on ASA itself.

On user side we can have authentication either using certificate or username/pass.

but which certificate would be installed on ASA and where and how it can  be istalled. pls  clear my confusion.

The users need to know that they are connecting to the right VPN-gateway (In EzVPN this is a problem with only PSK as you can't distinguish between a gateway and another user). For that an aproach is used that is similar to the Hybrid authentication in EzVPN:

The ASA has an identity-certificate, for example from your own CA. You clients need to trust this certificate. With that the users ca authenticate the gateway.

The gateway can then authenticate the users with a method of your choice, Username/Pass for example.

You should also think about migration to SSL/TLS VPN with AnyConnect. Same license is needed, but the config is much easier as there are none of the crypto ike/ipsex-commands involved. You only need to get a certificate from one of the public CAs (Entrust, RapidSSL, Startssl.com ...) and do a very little more config for that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card