Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove "inside" interface in ASA Context mode

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i got several "inside" interface that i needed to clean up in a multiple/context mode ASA.

it's been years since i did this and just would like to confirm my thoughts.

do i just remove or negate the subinterface under the 'system' context and all 'nameif' related config (ACL, NAT, routes) will be automatically removed in the context where it has been assigned to?

i just to ensure no other config/dependencies will be messed up

changeto system

context CONTEXT-A
no allocate-interface GigabitEthernet0/1.123

context CONTEXT-B
no allocate-interface GigabitEthernet0/1.456

no interface GigabitEthernet0/1.123

no interface GigabitEthernet0/1.456

3 Replies 3

Hi@johnlloyd_13 

From my experience, if you remove/unallocate the interface from system context, the interface is removed from the context without a prompt or warning. In the context itself the interface is automatically gone, the ACL remains but is not applied to the interface. The NAT rules that reference the now removed interface are gone.

hi rob,

thanks for your feedback!

another question, if i just 'shutdown' the interface in 'system' context, will it automatically shutdown the interface in the assigned context?

or will it still show as up but no traffic will traverse?

Hi @johnlloyd_13 

If you shutdown the interface in "system" context, the interface is shutdown (Status = down, Protocol = down) in the assigned context.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: