Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore config on AIP-SSM20 ?

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

Hi out there

I have a minor problem here - we are in the phase inupgrading our firewalls from a set of 5510 with SSM10 to a set of 5520 with SSM20 - and I expected it was quite simple just to restore the current config from the SSM10 on the SSM20'es - and weel - it also looks so when I first copy the config from my ftp-server to the backup-config and then load the backup to current config with erase - but when I afterwards look in the network configuration it has been replaced?

I am running the  7.04(E4) version of the kernel there...

Has anyoine out there tried to backup and restore the complete config - without problems?

If I copy the restored config back and do a diff on them all the difference is located in the service host section:

2c2

< ! Current configuration last modified Wed Jun 22 23:42:31 2011

---

> ! Current configuration last modified Wed Mar 30 15:03:54 2011

8c8

< !     Signature Update    S573.0   2011-06-08  

---

> !     Signature Update    S561.0   2011-04-20  

34c34

< service host

---

> service host

36c36,38

< host-ip x.x.x.42/24,x.x.x.111

---

> host-ip x.x.x.42/24,x.x.x.1

> host-name isp-fw_pri

> telnet-option enabled

37a40,54

> dns-primary-server enabled

> address 8.8.8.8

> exit

> dns-secondary-server disabled

> dns-tertiary-server disabled

> exit

> time-zone-settings

> offset 60

> standard-time-zone-name GMT+01:00

> exit

> ntp-option enabled-ntp-unauthenticated

> ntp-server 193.162.145.130

> exit

> auto-upgrade

> cisco-server disabled

is this a know issue?

best regards /ti

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
we are in the phase inupgrading our firewalls from a set of 5510 with SSM10 to a set of 5520 with SSM20 - and I expected it was quite simple just to restore the current config from the SSM10 on the SSM20'es

Correct. You should be able to restore a sensor configuration backup from an AIP-SSM-10 onto an AIP-SSM-20 sensor module without much trouble, as even though hardware-wise the AIP-SSM-20 is more capable/powerful, there are not any differences in interface naming conventions (or quantity), etc. that would appear in the configuration.

I expected it was quite simple just to restore the current config from the SSM10 on the SSM20'es - and weel - it also looks so when I first copy the config from my ftp-server to the backup-config and then load the backup to current config with erase - but when I afterwards look in the network configuration it has been replaced?

I'm not sure I follow exactly the procedure you attempted, but you should be able to backup the current-config from the AIP-SSM-10 sensor module to a remote server, then copy from the remote server to the AIP-SSM-20 sensor module. Example:

aip-ssm-10# copy current-config

aip-ssm-20# copy /erase current-config

NOTE: The /erase parameter only applies to the current-config. If specified for destination current-config, the source configuration is applied to the system default configuration. If it is not specified for the destination current-config, the source configuration is merged with the current-config. Perhaps this is part of the confusion?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
we are in the phase inupgrading our firewalls from a set of 5510 with SSM10 to a set of 5520 with SSM20 - and I expected it was quite simple just to restore the current config from the SSM10 on the SSM20'es

Correct. You should be able to restore a sensor configuration backup from an AIP-SSM-10 onto an AIP-SSM-20 sensor module without much trouble, as even though hardware-wise the AIP-SSM-20 is more capable/powerful, there are not any differences in interface naming conventions (or quantity), etc. that would appear in the configuration.

I expected it was quite simple just to restore the current config from the SSM10 on the SSM20'es - and weel - it also looks so when I first copy the config from my ftp-server to the backup-config and then load the backup to current config with erase - but when I afterwards look in the network configuration it has been replaced?

I'm not sure I follow exactly the procedure you attempted, but you should be able to backup the current-config from the AIP-SSM-10 sensor module to a remote server, then copy from the remote server to the AIP-SSM-20 sensor module. Example:

aip-ssm-10# copy current-config

aip-ssm-20# copy /erase current-config

NOTE: The /erase parameter only applies to the current-config. If specified for destination current-config, the source configuration is applied to the system default configuration. If it is not specified for the destination current-config, the source configuration is merged with the current-config. Perhaps this is part of the confusion?

hi dustin

Have you tried it yourself (eg: are you sure that it works?) - the net I am testing from is a local net without any connection to other networks so it might be there we have a little problem - during the restore it claims that it cannot contact the ntp server (thats correct - it is a closed net) and this is the only error it shows - but I could suspect that if it cannot contact that ntp server to verify  connectivity it drops completely out of that section - eg the host section - and hereby none of the parameters are updated - but I'll try this evening to do a restore of it again.

best regards /ti

hi dustin. Have you tried it yourself (eg: are you sure that it works?)

Yes. I ran through the process (copying the current-config off to a remote server (then manually verifying the remote copy) and then copying it back, including the /erase parameter (and then manually verifying the current-config to be intact)). Here's the output from the copy back portion:

sensor# copy /erase scp: current-config

User: service

Server's IP Address: 192.168.0.10

Port[22]:

File name: sensor.cfg

Password: ********

Warning: Copying over the current configuration may leave the box in an unstable state.

Would you like to copy current-config to backup-config before proceeding? [yes]:

sensor.cfg                                    100% 3012     0.0KB/s   00:00

Warning: Replacing existing network-settings may leave the box in an unstable state.

Would you like to replace existing network settings(host-name/ipaddress/netmask/gateway/access-list) on the sensor? [no]: yes

Processing config: |Connection to sensor closed.

Perhaps when you tried earlier, you answered "no" (which is the default) to the prompt to replace the existing network settings?

the net I am testing from is a local net without any connection to other networks so it might be there we have a little problem - during the restore it claims that it cannot contact the ntp server (thats correct - it is a closed net) and this is the only error it shows - but I could suspect that if it cannot contact that ntp server to verify  connectivity it drops completely out of that section - eg the host section - and hereby none of the parameters are updated

Yes, I would suspect as you noted that since the configured NTP server was/is not reachable by your AIP-SSM-20, that when the NTP portion of the config was processed and the sensor attempted to validate the specified NTP server IP address as reachable/working, that failed and interrupted the process. In that case (where you know the sensor will not be able to access/reach the configured NTP server), you could try manually removing the NTP config lines from the remote server's copy of the sensor config before you restore it.

hi again

yesterday evening I got a chance to test it and yes - it is the "missing" connectivity to that ntp-server that causes the problem - if it cannot reach/validate the ntp server it drops out of the whole "service host" section but continues restoring after that- no big deal if you are aware of it...

best regards /ti

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card