Views
Helpful
Replies

restore config to a new ASA5505 on different ASDM version

sai cheng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

so we have been using our current ASA5505 for a long time. Since it only support up to 10 VPN licenses, so we buy a new ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9(support up to 25 users).

the old ASA are running: 8.0.3 and ASDM 6.0.3

the new ASA are running: 8.2.5 and ASDM 6.4.5

I thought it would be simple as export and import the config file, but when i tried to restore, the new one is looking for a zip file but the old one doesn;t backup file in ZIP. It  looks like i need to update the ASA version or/and ASDM?

I am pretty new to this and never upgrade any of these versions since I am aware of the upgrade may mess things up.

So do I need to upgrade both the ASA version and the ASDM in order to restore my config?  any effect if i do the upgrade? I also read some articles, we need to upgrade on the version one by one, like 8.0 to 8.1 then 8.2? is that true?  Thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

Eddy Duran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sai,

You can upgrade directly from version 8.0.3 to 8.2.5, there shouldn´t be an issue. It is not a major upgrade. The following link contains the procedure for upgrading the ASDM and ASA version:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a008067e9f9.shtml

As another option, you can also backup your configuration using the CLI or command line interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml

Hope this works for you.

-Eddy Duran

I tried to download the image files directly from cisco; however, I don't have access to download. I purchased this ASA from a vendor but we didn't purchase SmartNet. Is smartnet required to download these images?

Hi,

I am not sure how it works without the Smartnet. To my understanding there is a certain period after the purchase after which you should be able to get software if you contact Cisco. But this is really something Cisco or the reseller can probably help you with.

Here is what is mentioned on Cisco sites Warranty section (click to enlarge the picture)

It does say that you get no access to Cisco.com

It also says no Software Updates

I am not all that sure what the Software Replacement means?

I have seen a couple of cases where people have been sold a very old ASA 5505 which has been running a very old software by todays standards and they have no Smartnet.

- Jouni

Hello Sai,

If you are unable to download the software, you can copy the ASA and ASDM images from the new ASA  by applying the following command:

ASA# copy flash tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 10.0.0.1
Source filename []? asa825-k8.bin
Destination filename [asa825-k8.bin]?
Accessing tftp://10.66.64.10/backup_cfg_for_pix...
!!!!

1030 bytes copied in 9.612 secs (107 bytes/sec)
ASA#

Once you do this, the software file would be available on your TFTP server, now you can transfer the file from the TFTP server to the old unit by following the procedure I posted before.

-Eddy Duran

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card