cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

retrieve configuration from a dead Cisco ASA - need help

andromeda
Level 1
Level 1

I have (had) a cisco asa 5506x which died last night due to the field notice FN - 64228 (clock signal component error). I would like to buy a new one but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the running configuration. Is it possible to retrieve that from the dead asa, which does not even boot but state led flashes amber?  I know I can eject the mssd from the back but the cfg is not stored there correct?

Thanks so much in advance!

4 Replies 4

You could try to remove the flash from the ASA and read it on your PC.  Remember to allow view of hidden files as the configuration is located in a hidden file on flash.  I think it is called "private".

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

andromeda
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. This is a 5506x NGFW, and the only thing that can be removed is from the back and thats a mSSD which has 64G size. Not sure if this would hold the configuration...I though that was the 8G flash which seems to be soldered?

After having a look at the ASA5506 hardware installation guide, it looks as though the flash (disk0:) is embedded and therefor cannot be removed and used on another device to retrieve the configuration file.  So unless you have specifically been using the external flash: (disk1:), I do not believe you will be able to recover the configuration.

Internal USB Device

An embedded eUSB device is used as the internal flash; it is identified as disk0.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5506xguide/b_Install_Guide_5506/b_Install_Guide_5506_chapter_01.html#concept_C4B6427E77D54C7B9DE2961C6D4109B9

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card