cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rv042 change wep security to wpa2

kanaitpro
Level 1
Level 1

i have a linksys rv042 router and it currently has wep security enabled.  i need to change it to wpa2 for pci compliance.  i cannot find anything about this in the user guide, tech support says the warranty is out, and the web management console has nothing about wi fi at all.  there is no other wi fi on the network, i have two dlink switches and a cable modem.  please help me, it's been two days on an hour long job.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's telling you it's the router that has WEP security enabled? According to the information I can find, this router model does not have Wi-Fi built-in. Are you positive there isn't a different deivce acting as the Wi-Fi access point?

the only things connected to the network are a small cable modem, the rv042, a nettrend switch, two telephony modems(no rj45), and a dlink switch in another room supplying the printer and a laptop.  since the switches are dumb, and the cable modem is just a modem and not a router, the rv042 is the only thing that it could be. we traced all wires physically and there is nothing else hooked to the network in the building.   the reason i know it's not another wi-fi network (there are several on the list) is that the server machine was talking to the other machines while they were hardwired.  i am getting the same info as you, that the rv042 is not wi-fi capable, but there is no other choice.  can an internal antenna be placed inside?  the guy that set up the network said it had an internal antenna, but the technician working with him cannot be reached and he is not technically literate.  i have solved the problem by purchasing a 2950 switch and when it gets here, i will set up a seperate vlan for the pos machines, but it still bugs me that i couldn't figure out the issue and they need to get the wep turned off.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card