Views
Helpful
Replies

saving the current PIX software to tftp

gappklaus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to save the current active software version installed on the PIX to a tftp server.

Is this possible?

I would like to do some tests with another software version and later on reload the current active version.

Thanks

Klaus

5 Replies 5

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

You can't. IOS can do this, PIX OS cannot.

My PIX does have a write net []: option. I am running 6.3(4)

write net saves just the configuration to a tftp server.

Just to confirm again, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SAVE THE PIX OS ON A TFTP SERVER, JUST TO COPY IT FROM A TFTP SERVER TO THE PIX !!!!

sincerely

Patrick

Command Reference 6.3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801727ae.html#wp1027782

Usage Guidelines

The write net command stores the current configuration into a file on a TFTP server elsewhere in the network. Additionally, the write net command uses the TFTP server IP address specified in the tftp-server command. If you specify both the IP address and path name in the tftp-server command, you can specify the write net :filename command as simply a colon ( : ) as follows:

write net :

sincerely

Patrick

oops my bad .. what i get for not enough sleep and too much coffee .. I read the request as saving the config .. you are correct .. you cannot save the iage off from the PIX to an FTP server .. Would have to have the existing version downloaded from Cisco and saved on the TFTP server.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card