Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure firewall 3105 throughput

peter.matuska1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this should be 10G FW but the iperf speedtest result gives me apprx. 650Mbps when testing from A to B. When testing from B to A, I get 900Mbps. The connected interfaces are 1G. When I tested from A to B and from B to A but traffic bypassing the FW, I got 930Mbps so it looks like the FW is an issue. When I configure prefilter I got slightly better results but not 930Mbps. 

FW is running 9.3.1

thank you

8 Replies 8

Yes the FW throughput is around 900Mbps 
if you config prefilter then all traffic pass without inspect, to solve issue I think you need to bypass the FW 
MHM

Only 900? It is not even closed to advertised 10G

Do you generate single flow or multiple flows? 3105 has 12 CPU cores, so testing it with a single flow is simply not a valid test.

But you are use interface have 1g how you want to get around 10g !!!

Change it to sfp 10g and check again.

MHM

firepower performance estimator

If you can access to this' check the throughput when using 1g and 10g.

MHM

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rated firewall throughput is not for a single flow but rather is an aggregate capacity. That especially applies in non-prefilter uses where the Snort performance (a given flow uses a given instance which is running on a single core), but also applies to prefilter where only LINA and not Snort is in play.

peter.matuska1
Level 1
Level 1

ok, so it is by design. I tested the same with different vendor, FW was installed in vmware and single flow was reaching 4Gbps and by adding the CPU it was rising. thank you

peter.matuska1
Level 1
Level 1

one more question. How about IPSec throughput? datasheet says 5,5Gbps. The question is whether I can reach this speed between 2 sites.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card