cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security flaws of NAT over the Edge Router vs the Firewall

Aaron_un
Level 1
Level 1

In a FPR Clustered Deployment Scenario due to the performance issues you're not supposed to do the NAT over the firewall cluster

Sources:

BRKSEC-3032 and CCNP Security SNCF 300-710

1611770262686blob.png

image.png

image.png

if we decide to do the recommendation here, and do the NAT on an ASR-9K instead, what kind of attacks can be done on the router who is doing the NAT here?

one could be denial of service, and

one type of DDoS(Layer 3) is the NAT attack, for eating up your NAT/PAT pool, although this type of attack can only take place when the connection is initiated from outside first..

that can be mitigated by a feature called vDDoS on an ASR-9K, what other kind of attacks can take place if we're not doing nat over the Firepower vs. an ASR router?

and don't get me wrong our network is currently running the NAT(overload PAT) over the ASR-9906 and I haven't bought the vDDoS license yet, and it's been like this for 5 month now,  we haven't experienced any attacks yet...

one reason that we haven't experienced any DDos attacks yet, is because we have private customers, but our IP can be searched in range attacks

no need to mention, we have a very high bandwidth uplink(above 30G), and we need very low latency for our environment since it's too big and our customers!!

3 Replies 3

Chakshu Piplani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

NAT with pat-pools with fewer PAT IPs than cluster members could cause traffic outages when the master role switches.

If there are more cluster units than there are global IP addresses in the pat-pool used for NAT. This can cause traffic failures if the master role changes and the new master has no IP address, or when additional units are added to the cluster.

You can have ASA/FTD on cluster with PAT IPs equal to the number of units in the cluster.

The above rules have changed in versions starting releases 9.15 and 6.7

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa915/release/notes/asarn915.html

image.png

Regards,

Chakshu

Hope this helps.

I haven't looked at the link you provided yet, but from what I understand, you're referring to the failure portion of the scenario like "what if the concurrent pat translations exceed the random port ranges assigned to each cluster member or what if one unit fails", however I am asking about what if there won't be any failures or there are sufficient port number to do overloaded pat on, but I am asking about the performance aspect, if the traffic comes back from outside and doesn't hit the owner of that xlate traffic needs to punted to the owner for translation(even if we're using data spanned etherchannel trunk), and that can cause asymmetry or latency?! or that's not the case?

Deploying a Cluster for Firepower Threat Defense for Scalability and High Availability - Cisco

image.png

Hello Again

an update...

I guess inconsistent hashing on outgoing vs ingoing flows is inevitable, unless Cisco comes up with a protocol that sync the xlate owner between the Nexus 7k and FTD cluster, so packets would be punted to the right unit on its way back.

Another workaround could be if we bundle the inside ports together and separate from outside ports together, and on etherchannel we use dst ip-l4port and on the other etherchannel we use src ip-l4port, this way traffic always hit the same member in both direction, since we aren't using the combination of src-dst and we're not bundling the both outside inside interfaces together, load balancing can't be that good, but It should be around 40 to 60% ratio, hence not all users are only going to one internet server..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card