cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Managment interface in ASA 5525

ermionline
Level 1
Level 1

I have ASA 5525 which is connected to a layer 3 switch and i use the inside interface to manage the ASA and i never used the management interface. But now i wanted to use the ASAs management interface, so can you please help me to configure the management interface including the physical cabling and the necessary routing.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this Management Interface is Out of band Management ? if MGMT interface also belong to same network as LAN, connect to switch configure switch port as access port in the same VLAN. so you able to connect.

make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

No Managment interface is not same VLAN as LAN.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just configure it like any other interface. The only tricky bit is routing.

Historically the ASA had only a single global routing table so traffic from the management interface trying to get back to some internal subnet didn't easily have a return path (since traffic cannot flow from the management interface through the ASA). So unless you were running a true out of band management network, routing was challenging.

Since ASA 9.5(1) we have the option of setting up a separate management routing table.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa95/configuration/general/asa-95-general-config/route-overview.html#concept_40C0C8DE2C1247319250B9F7706C54A5

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card