cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNORT GID 2: Tagged Packets

cpaquet
Level 1
Level 1

I came across a configuration guide which mentions, in the Intrusion Policies chapter, GID 2 as " Tagged Packets.  (Rules for the Tag generator, which generates packets from a tagged session. )" 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/710/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-710/fptd-fdm-intrusion.html

1. What is the Tag Generator?  I wasn't able to find any other reference about this. I supposed they are not talking about VLAN or TrustSec tag.  Is it about tags added by the prefilters to Tunnels?   or possibly Tags added in the ACP rules under Applications?

2. Any example of GID 2: ? I did a search on Objects > Intrusion Rules > SNORT 3  for GID =2 and one result came up - I have attached the screen shot.  Since it mentions 'pre-processor' my above theory that the tag might come from ACP Applications doesn't stand.

Or maybe it's a retired process.

Don't waste too much time trying on this very pointed question (I'm talking to Marvin here ) but if you know the answer, thanks for sharing it.

CP

3 Replies 3

Tag is for SGT
and also I think you need to use 

GID:SID 
GID alone not enough for snort process detect 

MHM

cpaquet
Level 1
Level 1

MHM are you sure of your answer?  Here why I have doubt on its validity:

1. FTD has many types of tags, not just SGT.  FTD uses tags for tunneled traffic - configured in prefilters.  FTD uses tags for applications - configured in ACP > Applications.  And yes, FTD uses tags, in a TrustSec environment, configured under ACP > Dynamic Attributes.

2. Sourcefire has been using GID 2 - Tag generated rules, as mentioned in the documentation - for a long time, before I think, it was aware of TrustSec. 

The question again was and still is:  the documentation referenced mentions 'Tag Generator' - what is the Tag Generator which has been mentioned since 6.2.3?

And, of course, I know that an intrusion rule is made more than just a GID. It needs

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

This is not for SGT. I'm not sure if "tag" Snort rule option is really used on Firepower. Refer to Snort manual for some more details:

https://docs.snort.org/rules/options/post/tag.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card