cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static NAT translations on multiple WAN interfaces (PIX 525)

Ryan Cole
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i am trying to achieve the following and wonder if it's possible and if so, how to do it.

we have an internal LAN of 192.168.101.0/24. we have two WAN/outside connections & interfaces, lets say 1.1.1.0 & 2.2.2.0.

all internal traffic from 192.168.101.0 uses dynamic NAT overload on the 1.1.1.0 interface to get online and i have a few static NAT translations for severs on this connection. this works fine and is fairly standard.

i have a server on the IP address 192.168.101.10 that is a VoIP server and that needs to go down the internal 2.2.2.0 (due to QoS on this WAN interface). i am able to create a static NAT translation in the PIX for this rule, however i am confused about what default route the PIX needs to know for this connection.

currently the default route is for the 1.1.1.0 interface, and yet i can not add another default route for 2.2.2.0 without giving it a higher metric than the 1.1.1.0 interface. the 2.2.2.0 interface obviously needs a default route so it knows the path to the internet yet i am not sure how to do this. when using a Cisco router i have been able to create a route map to give different default routes to difference access lists and this has worked, however what do i do on the pix?

i hope i have explained the issue clearly enough and if anyone can assist that would be excellent

many thanks

Ryan

1 Reply 1

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Ryan,

Asa cannot ahve 2 default routes, it can only have one. ASA also doesnt support PBR, so the setup that you are trying to configure would not work on the ASA. Router is the correct option for it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card