Views
Helpful
Replies

Steps to change interface IP on Cisco ASA Failover pair

Eric Shartle
Beginner
Beginner

Hello all,

I have a simple question.  I have 2 ASA 5510 in Active/Standby.  Active INSIDE IP is 10.1.0.3, failover is 10.1.0.4.  Due to an asymmetrical routing issue - I need to change the INSIDE IPs to 10.5.0.3 and 10.5.0.4 respectively.  I have a single ASA for testing, and have successfully done the subnet change there - added new routes, NAT exemptions....yada yada....traffic flows in/out just fine - and it fixed the redirect packets.

My problem is I don't have a failover pair to test with.  So, I see the Failover section in ASDM under Device Management - where I can change the Standby IP.  Should I do that before I change the interface IP of the active?  Does it even matter?  Should I suspend failover while making changes?  

Just don't want to get hit with an unexpected hiccup - doing this over the holiday and would like to minimize time at work....heh.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karsten Iwen
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

In a failover pair, you do all changes from the active unit. There is nothing to do on the standby unit. And both units have their IPs from the same IP-subnet, the change has to be done at the same time for both units. Best to login to the active unit through CLI, enter interface-configuration mode and set the new IPs.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Karsten Iwen
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

In a failover pair, you do all changes from the active unit. There is nothing to do on the standby unit. And both units have their IPs from the same IP-subnet, the change has to be done at the same time for both units. Best to login to the active unit through CLI, enter interface-configuration mode and set the new IPs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers