Views
Helpful
Replies

Subinterfaces using FMC on 4112

rosarra
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

a trivial question... how is it possible to create subinterfaces via Firepower Management Center (version 7) on two clustered 4112 Devices?

Maybe I am wrong but I understand that I have to do it via Firepower Chassis Manager and I can only do it if the interfaces are not in an instance. 

Please tell me I'm wrong!

4 Replies 4

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @rosarra,

You add subinterfaces same way as with standalone or HA devices. From that standpoint, Cluster is not different at all.

Same goes for multi-instance - you can add subinterfaces, for as long as you added entire physical interface (or logical, such as port-channel) to one instance. Difference comes when you want some subnterfaces from the same link to be in Cluster and another to be in HA pair. From that point, you must configure subinterfaces on FXOS level, and assign them to logical devices.

BR,

Milos

Hi Milos,

in a multi instance environment I cannot create a subinterface on interfaces that are part of an instance using Firepower Chassis Manager (I received the following error: Failed to create the subinterface, because the parent interface, 'Ethernet1/3', is in use by a Logical Device.)

Nor can I create them from Firepower Management Center while HA is active.
The solution I found (the one with the least impact) is to disable HA from FMC, configure subinterfaces on both devices and re-enable the HA.
It's a long and not very pleasant process but it's the only one that seems to work for me.

BR

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

This is expected - since you already assigned physical interface to logical device, you can't add VLANs on it anymore from FXOS.

You should add subinterface from FMC - go to Devices / Device Management / Select your device and edit / Interface / Add nIterface / Sub interface. It is possible to add subinterface, even with HA active. What you could be facing is that you maybe already have configuration on Ethernet1/3, and now you want to add subinterface on top of that, which is not supported. For this, you must remove existing interface configuration, save, and then configure it again as subinterface.

BR,

Milos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: