Views
Helpful
Replies

Time in ASA log messages

Arshad Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

My ASA is sync with my NTP server and showing correct time as we are in +5 GMT zone but in syslog ASA showing wrong time.

Kindly suggest regarding the same as soon as possible.

Regards,

Arshad

9 Replies 9

That problem can be caused my many problems. Where do you see the wrong time? on the ASA or on the syslog-server? Is your timezone set correctly? You should find a config similar to this in your config (with your local parameters):

clock timezone CEST 1

clock summer-time CEDT recurring last Sun Mar 2:00 last Sun Oct 3:00

If the problem is on the syslog-server, then make sure that the ASA sends a timestamp:

logging timestamp

And your syslog-server should also sync to ntp.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Dear Karsten,

ASA has sync with NTP source and showing corrent time when i issue show clock command. Below are for your reference.

ASA(config)#clock timezone GMT 5

ASA(config)#logging enable

ASA(config)#logging timestamp

ASA# sh clock

09:49:01.363 GMT Tue Nov 6 2012

I have configured emailing filter for certain syslog ids in ASA so when i get email alerts from ASA its showing wrong timing like ( if corrent time is 9:49am then it showing 2:49pm).

Regards,

Arshad Ahmed

Any one kindly reply.

What version is your ASA?

It seems that the ASA has incorrectly added +5 to the timestamp of the syslogs.

Seems to be a feature instead of a bug because it still does this in 9.14.1

clock timezone CST -6
clock summer-time CDT recurring

logging timestamp

sho clock
13:29:19.731 CDT Fri Jun 5 2020

Jun 05 2020 18:29:30: %ASA-4-106023:... 
Jun 05 2020 18:29:30: %ASA-4-106023: ...
Jun 05 2020 18:29:30: %ASA-4-313005: ...

etc

Deleted.

Not it - off in CLI by 5.

Deleted

Did you bother to read the post - I'm CDT, -6 UTC and no matter what the settings, my buffer logs are +5 hours from CDT.  If it's noon on my sundial, the logs are timestamped 5PM. Every other piece of equipment is buffer logging correctly.  Only the ASA is off.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: