cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trying to configure router as vpn client

tonyspcrepairs
Level 2
Level 2

I have two cisco routers, both are 2651XM's. One is configured as a vpn server and it works fine (client PC's can connect from remote locations) and I'm trying to get the other router to connect to it remotely as a client but I'm stuck.

I used the SDM web-based wizard to set up the Easy VPN Remote thing on the client router but at the end of the wizard a box comes up and says 'Please type your SSH username and password'. I don't know what this is and I've never set up an SSH username and password. I don't know what to type in this box and cconsequently the connection always fails.

I also tried to set up a 'VPN Site to Site' in SDM but that fails too. I entered all the details correctly (I think) and I used wireshark to monitor the connection test but the router appears to be connecting 'inwards' rather than outwards to the ip I specified for the vpn server router. This is puzzling to say the least. Are there any straightforward configs anywhere that will help me set up this client router?

Thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

tonyspcrepairs
Level 2
Level 2

sorry if this post is a bit long winded...

well I've had partial success but not yet fully there. Using SDM I've managed to get the vpn client router to connect to the vpn server router if I use browser login on a PC at the client end. But I want the vpn client router to log itself on automatically as soon as it boots up and this won't work. I set up SSH on the vpn server router with a username and password, and this username/password works at the vpn client end in a PC browser. But if I enter the same username and password into the cli it won't connect. The cli config for successful PC browser login is:

crypto ipsec client ezvpn SDM_EZVPN_CLIENT_1

connect auto

group mygroupname key mykey

mode client

peer ip.add.ress.of.server

xauth userid mode http-intercept

I've tried to amend this config for auto login with:

username myuser password 0 mypswd

xauth userid mode local

but the console gives:

'EZVPN: User connect request ignored,tunnel SDM_EZVPN_CLIENT_1 endpoint not ready

for request'

thanks for any advice.

tonyspcrepairs
Level 2
Level 2

it's ok now I managed to fathom it in the end. I set up an SSH username and password with privilege 15 on the vpn client router and then I finally got a connection.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card