Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect to remote device

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

hi everyone,

unable to connect to device on port 27000.

here are logs

: %ASA-6-302013: Built inbound TCP connection 69552007 for X:172.x.x.x/64755 (172.x.x.x/64755) to Y:172.x.x.x/27000 (172.x.x.x/27000)

%ASA-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection 69550694 for X:172.x.x.x/64753 to Y:172.x.x.x/27000 duration 0:00:30 bytes 0 SYN Timeout

i am coming from x to y interface of asa.

need to confirm if the issue is from remote  device?

ASA  log shows hit counts  while connected to server.

but for return traffic there are no hit counts?

Thanks

mahesh

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

sokakkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mahesh,

This indeed seems like an issue with remote device (if it is directly connected), either device not listening on 27000 or incorrect DG on device. In a nutshell, there is no response seen to initial SYN sent by client.

Apply captures on ingress and egress and that should clarify this.

-

Sourav

View solution in original post

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood you correctly.

But in a nutshell, you only open ports in the interface ACL behind which the connections are initiated from. You wont have to take into account the return traffic of that said connection.

If both devices open/initiate connections then you naturally have to allow connections on both ACLs. But to be honest there arent that many situations where you would run into this.

- Jouni

Hi,

You can configure the capture with

access-list CAPTURE permit ip host host

capture CAPTURE type raw-data access-list CAPTURE interface X buffer 5000000 circular-buffer

You can use the command

show capture

To see if any traffic has hit the capture

You can use the command

show capture CAPTURE

To view the contents of the capture

- Jouni

11 Replies 11

sokakkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mahesh,

This indeed seems like an issue with remote device (if it is directly connected), either device not listening on 27000 or incorrect DG on device. In a nutshell, there is no response seen to initial SYN sent by client.

Apply captures on ingress and egress and that should clarify this.

-

Sourav

hi sourav,

Thanks for confirming this that issue is with remote device.

Can you please let me know what config  i need to apply for packet captures?

Thanks

mahesh

Mahesh,

Check these links which explains captures in detail:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17345

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17814

-

Sourav

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

With regards to the mentioned log messages would seem that the host isnt responding to the first message that starts the TCP connection negotiation.

Also with regards to the ACL hitcount. Only the ACL from where the original connection forming comes from gets a hitcount. The return traffic doesnt generate any hitcount.

For example in this case the connection from X generates hitcount on the X access-list. IF there was return traffic then it wouldnt produce any hits on the interface Y ACL

As the ASA is a statefull device you dont have to open traffic to both direction. Just the initial direction of the connection forming.

I would start by checking the host to which you are trying to connect to for any problems.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

This remote device has return to interface x on some specfic port.

Say we have acl to open  port 2700 and xyz on the ASA.

where  port 2700 is connection to device and  port xyz is the return traffic coming from that device.

Hope makes sense.

thanks for confirming that issue seems to be with remote device.

Regards

Mahesh

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood you correctly.

But in a nutshell, you only open ports in the interface ACL behind which the connections are initiated from. You wont have to take into account the return traffic of that said connection.

If both devices open/initiate connections then you naturally have to allow connections on both ACLs. But to be honest there arent that many situations where you would run into this.

- Jouni

Hi,

You can configure the capture with

capture CAPTURE type raw-data access-list CAPTURE interface X buffer 5000000 circular-buffer

You can use the command

show capture

To see if any traffic has hit the capture

You can use the command

show capture CAPTURE

To view the contents of the capture

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

i will do that and will update you.

thanks

mahesh

Hi Jouni,

We open two  ports on ASA  for user to access the remote device.

on one port connection is build and on other  port as per user return traffic comes so thats why second  port is needed.

Regards

Mahesh

Hi Jouni,

Tomorrow i will test with Packet capture as the access to device is not working can you tell me what info i should look into

when i run sh capture name?

As output can be long?

Thanks

MAhesh

Hi Jouni,

Issue is fixed now.

It was routing issue.

Regards

MAhesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card