Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to deploy ASAv

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to deploy an ASAv but its not working out as i thought. I have a standalone vSphere Host 6.5U1 and ASAv 9.83(8) VMware OVF Package.

I couldn't simply import via vSphere Web Client so i had to use OVF Tool. Below is the command i used in Windows Machine(i am still testing ASAv);

ovftool --name="ASAv" --powerOn --deploymentOption=ASAv30 --diskMode=thin --datastore=datastore1 --acceptAllEulas --net:Management0-0="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-0="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-1="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-2="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-3="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-4="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-5="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-6="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-7="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-8="VM Network" E:\Cisco\asav983-8\asav-esxi.ovf vi://root@192.168.xxx.xxx

It throw some error so i had to remove the below line from asav-esxi.ovf;

<vmw:ExtraConfig vmw:key="monitor_control.pseudo_perfctr" vmw:value="TRUE"></vmw:ExtraConfig>

After the import was successful, the VM came up but keeps on rebooting. I found the below error;

Error: Unable to generate key, aborting create...
rm: cannot remove '/mnt/disk0/.private2/.secstore.img': No such file of directory

Kindly suggest.

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be able to deploy directly using the ESXi vSphere Web client. I've done several of them that way.

Can you confirm the image name you are using and that you have followed the instruction in the Quick Start Guide exactly (especially regarding vSwitch settings)?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/asav/quick-start/asav-quick/asav-vmware.html

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your response. I had tired first using Web Client but due to error and googling i chose OVF Tool.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvg56602

I am using asav983-8 image and i haven't followed the Quick Start guide. May be i should follow once and let you know.

Thanks again.

jimholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't remove the ExtraConfig line. It is mandatory. Without it, ASAv will not boot properly.

Jim

Hi Jim,

If i kept that line, i was unable to import the OVF package, OVF Tool was throwing exception at that line.

Hi ..

I have the same issue with a FDTv..

Do you use VcloudDirector..

if yes ..

try it :https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/05/configuring-a-whitelist-for-vm-advanced-settings-in-vcloud-director.html

channan
Level 1
Level 1

For a standalone ESXI Host:

1. Download the ASAv ZIP file from Cisco.com, and save it to your PC.
  2. Unzip the file into a working directory. The below files are included but as this is a non vCenter deployment, we are only interested in files 2, 3, 4, and 5.
    1. asav-vi.ovf—For vCenter deployments.

2. asav-esxi.ovf—For non-vCenter deployments.

3. boot.vmdk—Boot disk image.

4. disk0.vmdk—ASAv disk image.

5. day0.iso—An ISO containing a day0-config file and optionally an idtoken file.

6. asav-vi.mf—Manifest file for vCenter deployments.

7. asav-esxi.mf—Manifest file for non-vCenter deployments.

3. Web browse to your host (https://<esxhost>/ui/).
  4. Open the Datastore browser and upload file 5, the day0.iso file to a datastore.
  5. Right-Click the host and select Create/Register VM.
  6. Select Deploy a virtual machine from an OVF or OVA file.
  7. Name the new VM and drag files 2, 3 and 4, click Next.
  8. Choose the storage options for the new VM and accept the License agreements.
  9. (Optional) Edit any of the Deployment options and click Next.
  10. Ignore the warning that a required disk image was missing and click Finish.
  11. Navigate to the new VM, right-click on it and select Edit settings.
  12. Change CD/DVD Drive 1 to use Datastore ISO file and the Datastore browser window will appear, select the day0.iso saved in Step 4.
  13. Save the changes and power the VM on. As this is the initial deployment and the first time the ASAv is being powered on, it will go through a double boot process.
  14. The ASAv will have no configuration so CLI access to perform the initial configuration will have to be done through the virtual console.

Thank you, I followed these steps exactly and this was the fix for me!

mcinnesm
Level 1
Level 1

I've been having this same issue over the last few days.

Tried to follow all the recommendations here, but still getting the error.

When using the OVF Tool, you need to add an extra flag to your command to deploy it. The two flags i've used are --AllowExtraConfig and --AllowAllExtraConfig

The command i've used is: 

ovftool --name="ASAv" --powerOn --deploymentOption=ASAv30 --diskMode=thin --datastore=datastore1 --acceptAllEulas --AllowAllExtraConfig --AllowExtraConfig --net:Management0-0="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-0="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-1="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-2="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-3="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-4="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-5="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-6="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-7="VM Network" --net:GigabitEthernet0-8="VM Network" E:\OVF\asav981\asav-esxi.ovf vi://root@192.168.xxx.xxx

Hopefully this helps :D 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: