cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to ping WAN IP

TECH-JEFF
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've been tinkering with this issue for almost 1 month or two but still unsuccessful. This is actually my second post about our Cisco ASA 5520. In my Access Rules, I set it up as ip for the service to ensure ICMP is included but I can only ping local IP, not WAN or internet IP within our network.

What else do I check from here?

Thanks

Jeff

Jefferson Co
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From inside of your network you wont be able to ping another interfaces IP address.

View solution in original post

There is not enough information to answer that question.  Are those IP addresses attached to hosts directly or NAT'ed to something?  If they they are NAT'ed then the physical hosts would need to be on a different interface to the one the ping is being done from, and the NAT would have to be done both to the outside interface and the interface you are doing the ping from.

In short - probably easier to use a ping tool on your SmartPhone connected with 3G.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From inside of your network you wont be able to ping another interfaces IP address.

I see, I can ping the ISP's IP side. But how about the block of IP? I mean for example.

My block of IP is: 192.168.67.113(ISP side) and 192.168.67.114(FW interface/our side) for the rest of the IP's like from 192.168.67.115-118 since this is a /29 network.

Is this also possible?

Thanks

Jeff 

Jefferson Co

There is not enough information to answer that question.  Are those IP addresses attached to hosts directly or NAT'ed to something?  If they they are NAT'ed then the physical hosts would need to be on a different interface to the one the ping is being done from, and the NAT would have to be done both to the outside interface and the interface you are doing the ping from.

In short - probably easier to use a ping tool on your SmartPhone connected with 3G.

I can actually test this by setting up an ip directly to one of the machines and check.

Thanks

Jeff

Jefferson Co
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: